emotionally complicated

Recently my family has finally started counseling with a Biblical counselor. The counseling has been going good so far. We are starting out by working on learning how to healthily deal with our emotions which has been a major problem for a while.

What we have been learning is that emotions are not bad, they tell us things about ourselves such as what we love, treasure and value. The issue is what we do with the emotions. We sin when we use our emotions and act out in a way that doesn’t please God and is for our selfish gain. God gave us our emotions so they aren’t bad. We should learn to think our emotions through, what they are telling us, and bring them to God and ponder them with Him to learn how we can please God with how we use them and deal with them. It’s a complicated process when you haven’t really worked with your emotions before and when the world tells you to fully embrace your emotions while also telling you to push them aside entirely.But I think it can become very simplistic over time.

I started  counseling out thinking I was better off, thinking that I was more emotionally aware because I spend a lot more time journaling and praying to discover myself better and spend a lot more time taking in Biblical teachings. But God has humbled me. I don't understand, I don't trust God as much as I thought.

The process is taking your emotions to God before anything else. Not wading in your emotions and dwelling on your pain. Not focusing on why you feel that way but what you should do with that feeling. By asking God if you should confront it, move past it, etc.

I'm still new to this and it's still confusing. But I hope someone can relate and learn to start to take their emotions to God. It's better to start trying now than waiting.