4 | you're on the phone

March 14th, 2021

I once again got the hospital, my steps leading towards my OB's office. I knocked and immediately went in, knowing she had been waiting for me.

"Good morning." I greeted her with deep voice. I hadn't spoken much those past 2 days. A bit with Mom but that's all. I hadn't spoken a word to Joe. Every time he had asked me something, I just shrugged, shook or nodded my head.

He definitely must have known what happened. She had called him and told him everything. Still he didn't care.

I know he didn't want the baby, I get that. But he didn't even care about me. How I felt, what I was going through. Even though I'd known for a bit less than a month, I'd grown so attached to the baby already. And now I was supposed to give it away?

I couldn't. I knew it wasn't my choice to make, the embryo wasn't strong enough but still I was blaming it on myself.

"Good morning. Can you please lay down and I'll check you?"

I nodded and put my stuff on the chair beside the bed.

Once again, I was laying there and she was doing the ultrasound. But now, for the last time. My baby was dead. Their heart wasn't beating.

The silence in the room suddenly broke, "Oh, my God."

"What?!" I asked, waiting for even more horrible news.

She looked at me with a look in her eyes that I couldn't read. "Taylor, do you still have pregnancy symptoms?"

"Yeah, why?" I asked again. I needed answers, not more questions. She clicked a few buttons and then the room's silence broke with a sound of a heartbeat. "What? What is that?"

"That's your baby's heart."

"No, no, no. That's not..." She turned the monitor towards me and I could see the little blop, that looked more like a baby now, wiggling in there. "Oh, my God. Is it really...?"

"Yes, definitely. I don't know how that happened but it really is."

I put my hands in front of my face and my eyes started to water. I could still hear the heartbeat and was even more grateful to hear it than the first time.

There was another long silence. She was measuring everything and I just let tears run down my cheek and let it sink in.

When I came home that day, told it to Joe, spoke to him for the first time in 2 days, he smiled and hugged me. I was in his arms again, where I felt safe.

I was hoping he finally got around the fact that he was gonna be a dad. And he acted like that. I never knew what was about to happen.

• • •

August 3rd, 2023

We've been texting these past two days and it's been really fun, a bit of joking around but some serious things also. I don't know why I feel like I can trust this person this much. I've never met him. Heck, I've never heard his voice even. Which brings me to something. Yesterday, he suggested we could call for the first time.

I am in my room inside the SoFi stadium, tonight is my first out of six shows. I already sound checked and just got my make-up done a few minutes before. I am still in my sweats but he won't see me anyway.

For some reason, I am nervous. Why am I nervous? It's just a guy.

My phone that is lying on the coffee table starts ringing and I know it's him. I don't have to look at it to know it's him.

I pick up my phone and then freeze for a bit. He's facetiming me. Oh shit, I didn't expect that. WHY AM I NERVOUS?!

Thankfully Ell is napping in a different room with my Mom so he won't see her.

Finally, I answer the phone and his face appears on the screen. I can't say that he's not handsome. "Hey, it's good to see you." I greet him with smile on my face.

He flashes me a smile too, "Hey, yeah. You look great by the way."

My cheeks grow a bit red. His voice is attractive too, fyi. "Thanks. Have a show tonight so it's my stage make-up." I already have my eyes done, my lips are just empty for now. The red lip is gonna be in place a few minutes before the show.

"In LA, right? SoFi?"

"Yeah. Six shows here."

"I have no idea how you do it." He shakes his head.

"We talked about this already." I laugh at him still shaking his head. "I have no idea how you play on that field, you have no idea how I play on the stage. I think we're equal."

We talk like this for over 30 minutes, picking up right where we left this morning with our texts, until my mom comes and interrupts us, "It's time." I know it's time to go wake up Ellie, she just doesn't want to say it out loud. And she knows that I love to do it.

"Okay. Thanks." I smile at her and nod.

"I won't interrupt longer. But it was amazing talking to you."

It was. I bite my lower lip slightly, looking at the guy on my screen. The big football player that he is.

I like him. I just don't want to admit it to myself. Because I have a small daughter and because after everything that went out with Joe and blah blah blah. I had millions of reasons why to not fall in love, not have a boyfriend, not to like someone.

The conversation just flew so freely like we've known each other for months, if not years. And the thruth is, we've just been texting for, like, 2 days.

He's fun to talk to, to text with and I can imagine that he's really fun and nice to be around.

"It was great talking to you too. I'll text you if I have time before the show." I bite my lower lip again, smiling.

"Okay, see you. Or... text you, whatever. Have an amazing show." I love to see him a bit confused. He is so cute scratching the back of his neck with a grin on his face.

"Okay, bye." I hang up the FaceTime call, throw it beside me and put my head into my hands, growling.

"You are down hard." That scared the shit out of me. I had no idea Mom was still standing there.

"I am not." I get up, walking towards the door she's leaning on. I am going to play with my daughter for a bit until it's time to get ready and dressed.

As I was walking past her, she gives me a knowing smirk. "Definitely not." I hear her murmur.

A/N: heyy guyss, hope you've been doing great this week. they were finishing up with our grades this week and last week, so i had like zero time to write. plus i'm still in my writer's block phase😬. i have this and 5th chapter still pre-written

also, i "republished" the past chapters bc i couldn't see the preview photos there, don't know why

i'd love to here your thoughts and reminders

love you, ell🤍