xx.

twenty litanies

The next day, we were back at the university

The next day, we were back at the university. They had gathered us back into our teams to prepare us for the second internship day.

We were back on the buses shortly after. I had avoided Augustus this whole day – up until he was assigned to sit next to me on the ride to the hospital.

"Laurent," he said, acknowledging me with a nod.

"Back on a last name basis, I see?"

He shrugged, and my stomach curled in embarrassment and shame when memories of the previous day came flooding back. One thing I hated about myself was that every time I drank, I never forgot what happened. Even if I was blacked-out drunk, the memories were always still vivid in my mind.

And every moment from last night wouldn't leave my head. Every word, every ounce of desire that I felt... it was present, raging in every corner of my mind, not allowing me to forget.

I felt my cheeks redden just the slightest, but I fanned myself as if I were hot. It wasn't until the bus started moving before I felt him shift beside me.

"Look," he began, and I shut my eyes tight. Please don't say anything about last night. Please, please, please.

He leaned closer to me, enveloping my senses. Soap, leather, and wine.

"About yesterday..."

"Let's not talk about it," I said quickly.

He let out a sigh. "It was a mistake. We were both drunk and we weren't thinking straight. I'm sure you thought the same."

"Right," I responded, clearing my throat. "A mistake."

"Great. I'm glad we're on the same page," he said definitively. "So... there's nothing weird between us, right?"

"Right," I said again. "Of course not." I glanced out the window, not trusting myself to not get lost in those blue-grey eyes of his.

Of course it was a mistake. I was glad he knew. I was glad that he brought it up and we cleared the air.

It was obviously a mistake. We were both drunk and stupid. So why was I upset?

I shook my head, putting in my earbuds. I was being dumb, pathetic. I didn't want Augustus. I didn't want anything to do with him.

Liar, a voice whispered in my mind.

We arrived at the hospital twenty minutes later, and I continued avoiding eye contact with Augustus with fear that he might see conflicted emotions painted on my face.

Augustus and I were scheduled to listen to a conference today as our internship work. Without even a single word, we both walked together to the conference room and took a seat next to each other to listen to the speaker.