xxxi.

thirty-one i know you

"What dress are you going to wear?"

I shrugged at Lacey, who wasn't even looking at me. She seemed to be scrutinizing my closet, then turned back around with a sigh, as if nothing was suitable.

"I only brought a black dress," I said. "I have a few others, but..."

"Not red-carpet worthy," Aurora said from the bed behind us. "Me neither, though."

"You know what this means?" Lacey winked.

"Mall, here we come!" Aurora exclaimed.

We ended up going with the boys as well, since they hadn't brought "nice enough" clothes either, per Lacey's definition. Thirty minutes later, we were all gathered at the entrance of the mall, awaiting Lacey's instructions.

"First," she said, "we'll buy the suits. They'll take quicker."

"Quicker?" Rohan rose a brow.

"You have, like, two colors maximum to choose from. You can't get them tailored, which means you're essentially choosing a shirt, a blazer, and some pants. And possibly some dress shoes. That should be quick."

"I guess you're right," Rohan mumbled. 

"Exactly." She led us to the shop she had researched on the bus ride here.

"What about the ties?" Callum asked.

"Well, I was thinking that if you're feeling extra, you can try to match your tie with... one of us."

"So, we'd be going as... couples?" Callum scrunched his nose in disgust.

"Don't act so repulsed," Lacey grumbled. "It was just a thought."

"It would be cute," Aurora chimed in. I stayed quiet, August by my side.

"They'd probably expect it," Lacey added.

"Expect it?"

She groaned. "Fine. Don't match your tie with me, Callum, if you hate the idea that much. God." Lacey started walking at a brisker pace, muttering profanities regarding Callum under her breath. I coughed in an attempt to hide my chuckle.

We arrived at the suit shop, Lacey holding the door politely for everyone except Callum. 

The saleslady at the front perked up. "Hello. Can I help you?"

"Yes," Lacey said. "I called you earlier? Do you have the suits ready?"

Callum turned toward the rest of us, mouthing, "No way she called ahead."

I shrugged. "I wouldn't put anything past Lace."

Callum still had an incredulous look on his face when he turned back around, following the saleslady (whose nametag read "Saesha"), who was taking us to the back.