xxiv.

twenty-four one kiss...

"As ready as we'll ever be," Emilia muttered from beside me

Emilia and I had set some ground rules before we came, which were essentially that we should lie about everything to convince the therapist that we were truly a couple.

The therapist clapped her hands. "Perfect. My name is Rebecca, and you two are Emilia and Augustus, is that correct?"

"Yes," I grumbled.

"Well, this is pretty exciting. I usually get older patients, so having younger faces in here is refreshing. You two are a couple, yes?"

"We-"

"It's complicated," Emilia said, interrupting me. "We're working through things."

"Fair enough. First, I'm going to go through a series of questions, and I need you two to answer them as honestly as possible. Ready?"

"Sure," we responded.

"Have you ever been to couples therapy before?"

"This is our first time," I said.

Rebecca made a note before proceeding with, "How long have you two been together?"

We glanced at each other, and Emilia quickly responded with, "Almost seven months."

While the therapist looked down at her notes, I rose my brows at Emilia. "Seven months?" I mouthed.

She shrugged, as if saying, what else was I supposed to say?

I shook my head, turning my attention back to Rebecca. "And what are your expectations for couple's therapy?" she continued.

"We are hoping to form a better relationship that's not based off... arguing all the time. Our friends constantly complain about it," Emilia explained.

"And you believe that the relationship is salvageable? Despite the arguments?" Rebecca asked.

"Of course." Emilia grinned widely; a smile I knew was completely fake. Then she turned to me, placing a hand over mine. "We just want to get along better."

Lord, save me.

"I see," Rebecca said, eyeing me. "And, may I ask, how's your sex life?"

Emilia started coughing obnoxiously next to me, immediately taking her hand from my lap. I just grinned.

"I would say it's decent," I responded, the smirk permanently etched onto my face. "But some of us need a little work."

"Excuse me?" Emilia stopped coughing immediately, piercing me with a glare. "Let's not forget the time I had to fake my orgasm because you couldn't give head properly."