xxxii.

thirty-two two pieces of a puzzle

"Why are you so tall?" Lacey grumbled from behind the FBI agent

"Why are you so tall?" Lacey grumbled from behind the FBI agent. "Can't you tell that we're trying to what's happening ahead of us? You make a better door than a window."

He glanced over his shoulder to look down at her. "Do you want to see Alaska and Rowen or not?"

"Of course."

"Then I recommend you keep that mouth shut," he drawled, and I didn't notice the way his gaze indeed trailed to her mouth. By the blush on Lacey's face, she didn't fail to catch it, either.

"How much are you willing to bet that they disappear off together at the after party?" I mumbled to August.

He chuckled darkly beside me. "Twenty dollars."

I smirked as we continued down the stairs, holding my dress high enough up so I wouldn't trip on it. August kept his hand on the small of my back, guiding me, but also a reminder that if I fell, he would catch me.

We reached the end of the stairs and the agent scanned his key card, opening a door that presumably led us closer to the red carpet. He held the door for all of us, and once we were all through, he continued to lead us down more stairs.

This area was darker, gloomier, clearly not for guests. The walls were a concrete gray – or perhaps they were simply concrete – and the stair railings were cold to the touch. I shuddered after trying to hold onto it.

"How much farther?" Lacey asked, attempting a tone that sounded casual; but it was clear she was anything but.

"Are you always this needy?" the agent muttered in response.

"Do you see what I'm wearing? These heels are killing me."

This time, he didn't glance back at her, but I noticed that he clenched his fist tightly. "Not my issue."

Lacey murmured something unintelligible, most likely a few curses, before falling into step with August and I.

"What's up with him, right?" she asked us, rolling her eyes.

"He's just doing his job," Callum said from behind us.

Lacey glared at him. "I wasn't asking you."

Callum only smirked, raising his hands in mock surrender.

I smiled as Lacey's gaze returned to me. "Did you catch his name?"

"No."

She looked almost disappointed at the thought. It led me to ask, "Do you want to?"

"Of course not." But her response was too quick, too casual for it to convince me.

I shot August a knowing glance. He winked at me.