xxi.

twenty-one i will eviscerate you

「 twenty-one ✧ i will eviscerate you 」

I woke to an empty bed beside me.

Stretching, I sat up and felt the bed beside me. Still warm. Looking around, there was no trace of Emilia in the hotel room.

Perhaps she had gone out with the others?

But another quick sweep of the room proved that all of her stuff was still here. She must have gotten dressed quickly, grabbed her phone, and headed downstairs.

But for what? Breakfast?

I threw on a shirt, grabbed my phone and hotel key, and slid out of the room. We had a break day from the competition today, but Emilia usually waited for me to go to breakfast with her.

Or she didn't have breakfast at all.

The thought of her skipping meals sent my stomach rolling inside of me and rose an emotion akin to anger. Recently, I'd been doing all I could to give her food and make sure she was eating regularly.

I told myself that it wasn't because I cared about her. That the reason I wanted her to eat and never skip a meal was because of my brother and everything he had gone through. I didn't want to watch her fall down the same hole that he had.

When I got to the lobby, my heart practically stopped beating in my chest. Emilia was standing near the door, arguing with someone tall in a black jacket.

I didn't recognize the person, but with the way Emilia was standing with her hands crossed over her chest protectively and the way she stepped back whenever he stepped closer, I had a feeling that this guest was unwelcome.

It wasn't my business, but I walked near them, disguising myself by pretending to read one of the magazines the hotel offered while eavesdropping on their conversation.

"This is overboard," I heard Emilia say. "You tracked my phone, Theo. What were you thinking?"

Theo. Her ex. That little piece of shit tracked her?

"I know you want me back," the fuckface said. I didn't even bother pretending to read the magazine anymore; my scowl was aimed directly in Theo's direction. "C'mon, baby. You'll never be able to move on from me, and you know it."

And when he put his hands on her, I fucking lost it.

I walked over, the picture of calm when inside I was anything but. Emilia looked startled to see me, but I sent a wink in her direction and draped a hand over her shoulders.

"Who's this, Emilia?" I focused my glare onto Theo, who shifted under my gaze.

He was well built, I'll admit. Broad shoulders, strong arms. His blonde hair was short, almost buzzed. Freckles dotted his nose, beneath dark, pathetic eyes.