IV

In the hushed tranquility of the evening, Y/n walked beside Rin towards the dimly lit convenience store. Y/n winced occasionally, cradling her swollen hand, the discomfort evident on her face. Rin, typically quiet and straightforward, observed with a subtle concern in his eyes.

Rin, breaking the silence, spoke in his usual calm manner. "You okay, Y/n?"

Y/n smiled through the small pain "Yeah, just a little sore, the ice pack should help" They entered the convenience store, the soft chime of the door accompanying them.

Rin made a beeline for the freezer section, efficiently scanning for ice packs. Y/n followed, appreciating his straightforward approach.

Rin handed Y/n a box of ice packs without a word. His actions spoke louder than any words, offering silent support in his own understated way.

"Thanks, Rin".

Rin simply nodded, and they continued through the store, their footsteps muted on the polished floor. Y/n grabbed a few snacks while Rin quietly selected a drink.

At the checkout, Rin gestured for Y/n to go ahead, signaling that he would handle the payment. Y/n's gaze met his, a silent exchange of gratitude passing between them.

The night air greeted them as they left the store, the ice pack in Y/n palms calming down the swollen hand.

Rin took the chance to walk Y/n home since it was already dark outside.

Next day

In the bustling corridors of the school, Y/n made her way to the familiar classroom, her bandaged hand a subtle reminder of the volleyball mishap. As she reached her desk, Rin, the quiet observer, approached with a concern evident in his eyes.

Rin, straightforward as always, gently asked about Y/n's well-being.

"Hey, Y/n. How's your hand?"

Y/n looked up, a small smile playing on her lips at his considerate inquiry.

"It's getting better thanks for asking, the ice pack worked wonders".

Rin nodded, his expression easing as if reassured by her response. "Good to hear, if you need anything just let me know".

"Thanks Rin, your quiet concern means a lot." Y/n smiled.

Rin nodded again, the unspoken understanding between them lingering in the air as Y/n settled into her seat. In the simplicity of that exchange, their connection transcended words, a quiet bond that echoed in the gentle gestures of care amid the ordinary rhythm of the school day.

Rin found a peculiar softness in his stoic heart reserved for Y/n. His quiet nature belied a subtle warmth that manifested in small, almost imperceptible ways.

In the quietude of the classroom, his eyes would involuntarily gravitate towards Y/n, watching her navigate the familiar routine with a sense of admiration. The way her laughter, like a melody, punctuated the air would draw a faint smile to his lips, an acknowledgment of the joy her presence brought.

As the lunchtime bell echoed through the school corridors, Y/n found herself in the cafeteria. However, as the minutes ticked by, it became apparent that Kumi was unavoidably detained by a meeting with the principal.

Feeling a bit awkward sitting alone, Y/n spotted Rin nearby, quietly reading a book. Summoning a bit of courage, she approached him with a shy smile.

"Hey Rin, would you mind if I joined you for lunch today? Kumi got caught up with the principal." Y/n shyly asked.

Rin looked up from his book, his calm demeanor unfazed by the unexpected request.

"Ok".

Y/n settled down beside Rin, the quiet atmosphere was surprisingly comforting, and Y/n found solace in Rin's understated presence.

As the lunchtime bliss neared its end, Y/n and Rin reluctantly gathered their things, preparing to head back to the classroom. The peaceful atmosphere of their impromptu lunch was replaced by the hustle and bustle of students returning to their academic routine.

Upon entering the classroom, their English teacher, Ms. Tanaka, stood at the front with a mysterious air of anticipation. The room fell into a hushed silence, and all eyes turned towards her as she prepared to make an announcement.

"Welcome back, everyone, I have some exciting news to share. We have a new addition to our class starting today." Ms. Tanaka announced.

A collective murmur of interest swept through the room as all eyes turned to Ms. Tanaka.

"Please give a warm welcome to Osamu, who is joining us from another class."

The door opened, revealing Osamu standing at the threshold. His presence carried a certain familiarity, especially to Y/n, as he made his way into the room with a confident stride.

Osamu greeted the class with a nod, and as he found an available desk, Y/n's gaze met his briefly. A mixture of surprise and uncertainty lingered in the air, adding an unexpected twist to the routine return to the classroom.

As Osamu settled into the classroom, Y/n couldn't help but notice a subtle change in Rin's demeanor. The usually composed and reserved guy seemed to tighten his jaw ever so slightly, his gaze briefly flickering towards Y/n before he redirected his attention to his books.

Intrigued by Rin's reaction, Y/n couldn't resist a small, friendly conversation with Osamu during a break. Rin, however, continued to focus on his studies, a barely perceptible tension in the air around him.

"So, Osamu, what brings you to our class?" Y/n smiled.

"Just a change of scenery. Plus, I heard this class is filled with interesting people." Osamu casually responded.

Rin's pencil paused mid-air as he overheard the exchange, his eyes narrowing ever so slightly.

"Well, you've certainly joined an interesting bunch." Y/n teased.

Osamu chuckled, seemingly oblivious to the subtle dynamics at play.

Rin, on the other hand, couldn't shake the feeling of a knot tightening in his stomach.

As the day progressed, Rin found himself stealing glances at Y/n and Osamu, a sense of discomfort settling in. The quiet lunchtime camaraderie felt distant, replaced by an unexpected and unwelcome twinge of jealousy in Rin's stoic heart.