Chapter 4: Coincidence

Ford's P.O.V.

The midday sun hung high in the sky as I found myself at Pop Up, my go-to spot during lunchtime. With a two-hour break ahead of me, I'm getting a bit tired of the eateries around UP, so I opted to come here to Pop Up since the food here is tastier.

As I settled into the vibrant atmosphere, reminiscing about the flavors I had missed, I decided to capture the moment. Pulling out my cell phone, I intended to share my dining experience with my friends on Instagram. However, in the midst of composing my post, I accidentally collided with someone passing by. Startled, I quickly looked up and offered a sincere apology for the unintended encounter.

"Oh God, sorry I didn't mean to — Gadiel?"

We locked eyes, and just like me, he didn't expect our unexpected encounter. He was wearing a white polo with jeans, a backpack slung over his right shoulder, and an ID hanging from his neck.

I shifted my gaze to his ID.

How cute! I wish I could have a copy to set as wallpaper.

Nearly three days had passed since we last saw each other, and I hadn't messaged him since my last message because I got busy completing my plates.

"What are you doing here?"

"Eating. Unless I can shop here?" he said playfully.

"Grumpy," I whispered. "Have you eaten?"

"Not y—"

"Good then, let's go together!" I said and held his wrist, leading him until we reached Pepper Tree, where I often dined. I greeted one of the staff with a smile before we entered.

"Oh, Ford, it's been a while since you last visited!" Mira, the manager of Pepper Tree, greeted me. I used to dine here frequently during long breaks, but due to my hectic schedule, I hadn't been around lately.

"A bit busy," I replied, smiling. She glanced behind me, and I introduced Gadiel. He nodded in acknowledgment to Mira.

"Atenean?" Mira remarked, giving me a meaningful look, to which I just laughed it off. "Anyway, as usual?"

"Is that even a question? Of course," I replied, turning to Gadiel. "How about you? What do you want?"

He glanced at the menu, seemingly debating for a while, unsure of what to choose. "Ah, just the same as yours," he finally said.

"Are you sure?" He simply nodded in response.

"Alright, two sisig, one tofu, extra rice, and two iced teas," I ordered.

(A/N: Sisig is a Filipino dish made with chopped meat, typically pork face and ears, seasoned with calamansi, onions, and chili peppers. The meat mixture is grilled, fried, or sautéed until crispy. Sisig is recognized for its savory, flavorful, and slightly spicy taste. It is commonly presented on a sizzling plate and may be garnished with an egg on top.)

"Sisig?"

"Yes, the spicy one. Wait, haven't you tried that before? I can change it real quick if you—"

"No, It's fine. I'm okay with that," he said.

I reached for my wallet to get money and saw Gadiel about to hand his credit card. I stopped him and handed 500 pesos to Ate Mira.

"I'll pay for both," I said.

"Why did you stop me?" he asked with a furrowed brow.

"It's on me. Consider it a thank you for giving me a ride last Sunday," I replied, looking at his forehead. I lifted my hand, couldn't resist adjusting it and fixing the crease. "You're always furrowing your brow; it's a waste of your good looks, considering you're cute," I added.