Chapter 15: Thank you

Gadiel's P.O.V.

I paced back and forth inside my room, my cell phone clutched tightly in my hand as I anxiously checked for any notification from him. Despite my eagerness to reach out, I hesitated to call him; after all, my previous messages had gone largely unanswered.

With a frustrated sigh, I tossed my phone onto the coffee table, irritation gnawing at me as I slumped onto the sofa. Ford's recent behavior had left me feeling bewildered and unsettled. It seemed as though he was avoiding me, brushing off our interactions with vague excuses of busyness or whatever it is.

I tried to reassure myself that I was blowing things out of proportion. After all, we were just friends, and friends didn't need to be in constant communication, did they? But despite my attempts to rationalize the situation, doubts crept into my mind.

Had I done something to offend him? Said something out of line without realizing it? Or perhaps it was because of that day—the memory of which still lingered in the back of my mind, casting a shadow over our relationship.

Ugh, nothing seemed to sit right anymore. I ran a hand through my hair in frustration, feeling the tension knotting my muscles as I struggled to find a solution.

Closing my eyes, I took a deep breath, attempting to calm the storm of emotions swirling within me. What should I do?

Suddenly, my reverie was shattered by the ringing of my phone. My heart leaped into my throat as I glanced at the caller ID, my pulse quickening at the sight of his name. Clearing my throat nervously, I answered the call.

"Hello?" I greeted tentatively.

"Come down," his voice commanded, sending a shiver down my spine.

"Huh?" I stammered, caught off guard by his abruptness.

"Come down, I'm waiting for you," he repeated, his tone leaving no room for argument before ending the call.

I didn't have the chance to question him about his unexpected presence outside my condo building at 11:52 p.m. before he abruptly ended the call. Hastily grabbing a jacket from my cabinet, I braced myself against the chill of the night as I hurried to the elevator, eager not to keep him waiting. Within moments, I found myself in the lobby, stepping out into the cool night air.

There he stood, leaning against a car, clad in a blue hoodie, his hands nestled in his pockets. As our eyes met, I was struck by the weariness etched into his features, though he attempted to mask it with a smile that didn't quite reach his eyes as it normally did.

"What are you doing here?" I questioned, my concern mingling with a hint of irritation at the late hour.

"It's already freaking late," I added pointedly.

"What time is it already?" he inquired suddenly, his tone calm yet slightly cryptic, prompting a furrow to crease my brow in confusion.

"What?" I responded, taken aback by his question.

"Come on," he urged gently, and with a heavy sigh, I retrieved my phone from my pocket to check the time.

"11:59," I replied, puzzled by his need for confirmation when he clearly wore a watch on his wrist. Nonetheless, he nodded and retrieved something from the car, revealing a cake with a single lit candle.

With a glance at his watch, he began to count down, his voice soft yet filled with anticipation.

"4...3...2...1." And as the final count escaped his lips, his gaze locked onto mine, a sweet smile gracing his lips as he held my eyes, the candle's flickering flame casting a warm glow upon us both.