Emma

Today is my first day as the company's representative. The event will aim to collect funds and bring awareness to foster systems. There is plenty to fix in those systems and there is not enough importance to it.

I still remember the first time I worked with a child. His name was Collin. He was a five-year-old boy whose mother was a homeless woman who lived on the streets for over five years. He survived a night in a garbage can when another homeless man found him. He brought him to us and my boss left his case to me after five years of looking for a home for him. He wanted me to prove to him that I was worthy of working in such a great company. He hated me already and the way I took the challenge made him hate me more. Let's say that my strong attitude can sometimes take the best of me.

But I learned that my heart changed when I had children in my arms. I held that child close to my heart as I fought for his safety. It was a difficult journey to find good parents for him and he has his brokenness to hold. Most parents don't like children with trauma. They don't like a child who cries in the middle of the night or begins to shake with something he finds in his surroundings triggering.

But it took one whole year to finally pick up those pieces. He grew close to me and started to cry when we found good parents for him. He held onto my leg with a strength I did not know he had. I crouched down and looked into his honey eyes. He was terrified and it was like I could feel his heart pounding in his chest. So I took his hand and gave him a warm smile.

"We fought so hard and so long for this. Look what happened when you decided to become a warrior. You can go to a wonderful home now. You're going to have your own toys and your own room just as you wanted!"

He shook his head as tears ran down his red cheeks. "But you won't be there..."

My heart broke in two and I let my tears slowly roll down my cheeks. I couldn't help but chuckle and bring him in for a tight hug. He held onto me as if it would be the last time. It was not. We both grew up on that day and let go of insecurities. We both learned that strength was found in delicate hearts that knew how to walk away. Strength was found in the hope of seeing each other again.

I still often visit him. Every time I go to his home, I can finally see the god my parents are so faithful to. He does exist because I get to see his worn face turn bright. I was able to change his story. I rewrote his future by just believing and trusting.

That's why I take a deep breath now and get ready for my big speech. I look over my notes as I stand behind the stage. Over twenty different companies and businesses are here today to support our humble cause. All I want is for them to see past these pretty decorations and tables. I want them to see past my speech and the stage. They will find thousands of children praying up to the empty skies for a miracle.

May we give them hope for that little miracle...

My phone rings and I quickly look at who it is. I leave Lisa's message after I answer Leanne. "Hello?"

"Are you busy?"

"No. Well, I am about to go give my speech. What is it?"

"Oh okay. Everyone!" My eyes grow wide when I hear a lot of voices wishing me luck on my speech. I chuckle and kindly thank these strangers.

"What...Where are you? Who are they?"

"Oh. I'm about to start a surgery, but I wanted to call you to wish you luck before it's too late. An intern is holding my phone on speaker."

I do a small laugh and shake my head with a smile. "Thank you, unnie," I say in Korean now. "I wish you were here..."

She is quiet and I know she must be doing her small smile. "You can do this," she responds in Korean now. "I know you are capable of changing their hearts, too. You were chosen for this position for a reason."