Leanne

Dr. Kim is an interesting man. He always seems to surprise me. I keep bumping into him, too.

The other day, I happily walked out of the birthing center after giving Grace a small visit. She lost a lot of blood, so she was asked to stay in the hospital for a few more days to get monitored. She seems fine until her exhaustion gets the best of her. I even have small chats with her mother. I always love catching up with old friends. It always gets me into a good mood if they don't make my heart ache like Joey has done the past two times I have interacted with him.

Then, I suddenly hear a voice call out to me. I stop in my steps and look around. There was no one near that indicated they were looking for me. With a hint of surprise, I continued to the elevator and pressed onto the floor for my office. Suddenly, a hand appeared and stopped the elevator doors from closing. I got startled and gasped only to see Dr. Kim come into the elevator with a small chuckle. I gave him a hint of furrowed brows and only looked forward after returning his respectful head bow.

"How are you today, Dr. Nam? Do you have any surgeries today?"

For some reason, I did not respond to his question. I instinctively began to study his face expression to this question. I wanted to see if there was sincerity or if he was just wasting my time. All I found was that spark of odd familiarity that made my heart nervous.

He noticed my quick studying and gave me a small smile. With that, I decided to answer with, "Good. And no. I do not have surgeries today."

He was silent for a moment before nodding in understanding. That's something I like about him. He can read face cues. He notices everything and remembers well. He remembered that coffee made my stomach sick the other day and only offered to give me tea now when we found ourselves eating lunch or dinner together. For some reason, it's so easy to interact with him. It's too easy as if I've done it so many times before.

The other day, we bumped into each other again at a meeting where all the head nurses and doctors of each department met for our weekly hospital update. I arrived a little late to the large lecture room and I quietly tried to make my way towards the middle section where I found Cristina taking notes. In the same row was Dr. Kim just a few seats away from Cristina.

His eyes did a little glimmer as I gave him a small nod and tried to get past him. He quickly stood up and our Chief of Surgery saw us. He stopped in the middle of his sentence and firmly said, "I thought I clarified to have everyone here on time."

I had already sat down at the moment but Dr. Kim was just starting to sit back down. I did a small sigh and my cheeks began to burn with embarrassment as I started to stand up again to apologize. But Dr. Kim suddenly stayed standing and said, "I apologize, sir. I got a little lost coming here. I am still getting to know this hospital."

He nodded and continued his presentation. I looked at him with surprise and he only gave me a small head bow before looking forward again. Cristina and I exchanged surprised looks but she did a hint of a smirk before going back to her notes. The things that run through her mind scare me sometimes.

He has become useful, too. It was when we were talking to Lara about the incident Cristina had gone through with Mrs. Valdez. People are the most terrifying thing when they are desperate to lie and hide. My sister has been dealing with a few and there seems to be rumors that Cristina has to go to court.

"I can't go to court!" Cristina said with fear in her eyes as we sat at a table in the break room. "I can't go to jail!"

"You won't go to jail," I said with a roll of eyes. "Calm down, girl. Those people only feel threatened. Did you get yourself a good lawyer already?"