Grace

My house keeps getting filled with gifts. Not from my neighborhood. The city isn't very warm like it is in my hometown. But I keep getting gifts from my family and my friends.

Leanne is at fault for spoiling my children. It used to be just on their birthdays and Christmas. Now it's almost every weekend.

I chuckle to myself when I see the new package we get at the front door from her. I read the note that says: Hopefully, this can help with some sleep. And the chocolates are for the kids. Not for you.

"Too bad I will eat them myself now," I say to myself as I bring the package inside.

The soft sound of the baby monitor comes to life and I gently walk into my room. My heart melts every time I peek over the crib and see her there. Gosh, she's perfect. Her little upturned nose is red from her crying and her eyes are watery. I take her in my arms and she finally calms down. I bring her close to my chest and take in her sweet scent. I love her so much.

"My beautiful princess," I softly say to her and she coos. I sit in my new rocking chair my brother bought for me and let out a long breath so I can breastfeed her. She turns quiet again and I look out the window.

This city is not like the one I went to in college. We are more North. I've always liked the North side. Where there are more mountains and some beaches here and there. It is not just the beach.

People come and go. It is still busy here. Everyone has somewhere to go and we have become a part of that. My husband has become a part of the busy city and even my daughter is in a rush when she goes to school. I miss her so much.

My sweet girl. She's growing up so fast. She smiled so wide when my mother sent her a backpack and lunch bag. She gave me a quick kiss on my cheek before running off to see her classroom. I watched her fit in immediately and my heart fell a little bit. My husband waved at her with me and she waved back with happiness before disappearing into her classroom. I missed her the moment she left my side...

At least, I have my baby boy with me. He is taking his small nap right now, but I can tell he misses his sister. They fight quite a bit, but they have been best friends from the start. But I try to do fun activities with him when I am not with the baby. Luckily, we still have my piano with us, so I have started to teach him a few skills on it. However, the more I observe him, the more I see his mind turn more his father's. He might be an engineer, too.

Then there's his smile. The first day at his job was quite the day. He was so nervous and I found it funny how hard he tried to hide it. He kept messing with his tie until I gently stopped his hands and fixed it myself. His light brown eyes were dark with fear as he watched me give him a warm smile.

"Do you think I'll do well?"

I did a nod. "Why wouldn't you?"

"Well...Because I was an engineering major, but I have not worked in anything big for it until now. I resorted to being a teacher because we got married and I needed--"

"You will be just fine," I said before he began his long worried rant. "Don't worry. They will love you."

He did a smile with a playful gleam. "You only say that because you are my wife."

I laughed as I accommodated his collar. "I wouldn't lie to you because I'm your wife. I have full confidence in you. You can do it! Do you know how smart you are?"

He let out a groan and his head fell on my shoulder. For a moment, he was like a child as he tried to hide from this terrifying world. Just as he held me with his warm arms when I was afraid, I held him close at that moment. My hand sweetly ran on his broad shoulder and I kissed his temple. But he finally found strength with a breath and I waved at him goodbye at the door. I gave him a fist up in the air and he returned it with a sweet chuckle. Since then, he has never been happier. Work is going very well for him. They really do love him.