Cristina

"Ms. Erica Lubao?!"

I let out a small squeal as she happily came to give me a tight hug. We even do a small jump of happiness as we share a warm hug.

"Dr. Cristina Wong! This is amazing! Look at you!"

I do a little twirl and she does her loud laugh that always made my heart dance. "How are you?! I can't believe you stopped by just to say hi!"

"You know that I will do anything to at least see you once a month, love!"

I giggle at her silly words. She is and will always be the roommate that changed my life. Ms. Erica Lubao. I loved calling her that from across campus. Now, her last name has changed to her husband's last name, but I always tease her that she will always be Erica Lubao, my wife.

We sit down at my favorite coffee shop and have a usual catchup session. This month, it was her turn for her to see me. However, I did not think she would actually come as a surprise when she just had a baby.

"How's your family?" I warmly say. "How's my new niece?"

"Oh, you know! They miss you every day. You barely call! How are you?! How's work? How's Leanne?"

"Awh," I say with a chuckle. "I miss you so much. Sometimes I wish I could just take a plane and be at your door. But you know, work keeps me busy. Every day is a new lesson and a new story. It never gets boring. I'm constantly tired though."

"Mm. The usual."

I laugh. "Yes. The usual. Since college. You know me." We share a laugh and then continue. "Leanne is good, too. She's always busy, too. But we still find the time to hang out at least once a week to rest."

"Good good. Make sure to rest and eat well, Cristina. I don't want you getting sick."

I smile at her motherly words. While she still has those dark curtain bangs and a wide smile, she has changed a bit. She is more...mature. She's become a woman whose heart has been broken but finally let itself heal after trying love one last time. She finally succeeded and she even has two kids now.

I'm proud of who she's become. She got her Ph.D. in psychology and became a counselor for college students. Definitely, we both went through a lot and learned enough during college to give a few words of advice.

But now we enjoy what we achieved after those hard lessons. We enjoy our hard work and share these moments that are as carefree as the ones we had in our college dorm. Sadly, the last time we heard from Jess and went out as the three links was almost two years ago.

"Tell me," she now says with that familiar sparkle in her almond-shaped eyes. "Have you finally met anyone?"

I chuckle at the same question she asks me every time we meet. "No. But I'll make sure to call you when I finally find someone, girl."

"Oh, Cristina! I bet there's so many out there that want a hot doctor as a wife!"

"Damn, girl! Relax! I don't even have a boyfriend yet and you want me to have a ring already!"

"My kids need a playdate," she says as she sits back with a playful grin. "Just saying!"

I shake my head with a laugh. She always says the most amusing things and has the wildest thoughts dangerous for me to hear because I am mostly inclined to do them. But we end up taking a long walk around the neighborhood. Not too far away there is a park with beautiful trees that are dressed in orange and yellow from the autumn season greeting us now. We take our coffees and talk about more serious things. I listen to some of her relationship problems and as always, I try to understand. It has always been like this with her.

Then we stop at a bench and sit down. We watch people walk by and some patients from the hospital take their morning walks here. Some wave at me when they recognize me and I warmly return their greetings.

Erica suddenly says, "I've missed college a lot recently..."

I turn to look at her and she has a sad smile as her dark eyes turn distant. I also do a small smile and nod. "I do, too. We were so carefree. Life seemed so hard then, but it was actually so..."

"Easy," she says as she looks back at me. Her smile turned warm this time and even did a small scoff like she used to when her heart remembered how to rest. "That's why...I like coming to see you. I know that it isn't like going back to our dorm at the end of the day but every time I come to see you, I am back in those carefree days. You take me back to the best years of my life, Cristina."

Her sweet words make my eyes water and I blink so they can go away. "Oh, Erica..." Even if I hide my tears away, I still give her a warm hug. I let my eyes close a moment and realized that she was right. I'm back when we shared a hug after a long talk or when we laughed together over some boy after getting ice cream at midnight. I'm back when life was in our hands and all we had to do was hold on tight to it.

We take the long way back and stop in front of the hospital. She gives me a warm smile but her eyes are sad. It's always like this when we say goodbye. Every time, I give her a long hug and remember the familiar smell of her perfume. I take in those pretty brown eyes and her beautiful features. I admire her outfit like I used to one last time and blow her a kiss.

But now we say goodbye differently. This time, we have lived a little as I yell out, "Say hello to my babies! Next time I'm bringing them sweets and presents!"

She laughs from afar and yells out from her car, "Call me if you ever need anything! And make sure to rest so you can be a good doctor! Bye! Miss you already!"

I happily wave in the air as she drives off but I continue to watch her until she is only a speck in the distance. Like our first time we said goodbye at graduation, it is a bittersweet feeling. My heart falls a little but it is warm as I softly say, "Love you, my pretty girl..."

I walk back into the hospital and put on a smile. Though, it does not reach my eyes. I'm back to reality as I put on my doctor's coat again. I'm back to the exhaustion and nerves that I might upset another parent. Back to the shame for not noticing more. I am back to trying my best every day when my heart only wants to soar higher.

The words from Emma come back. She suggested I look for a lawyer. She said just to make sure I am safe. Can it be that bad? Must I live in fear even at my job?

Leanne suggested the same thing and she could even help me look. I had a sudden memory about someone that could help but I am too embarrassed to even bring it up.

Just as I check in for my last few hours here, I get a call from my floor. I quickly answer it and start towards the elevator. "Yes?"

"Dr. Wong, we reached out because you are our next available pediatrician on call. We have a newborn baby on the way. Mother should be ready for birth in a few hours. Please stay on standby for the baby's checkup at birth."

My favorite part of my job. A new life. My heart forgets the slight sadness it had and I quickly make my way to the birthing center. I like to read the mother's file first and introduce myself to her so they know who's the stranger that will be taking care of their baby while they get cleaned up.

I look into their file at the counter just outside their room. With a warm smile, I read through the different tests done and the medical history. This is their third child.

But I gasp when I see the name. What a coincidence. My college years are really coming back to me today. I have to tell Leanne immediately.

My heart soars with happiness at the mother's name. Grace Lin.