This is Home

Y/N's POV - following weekend

            Ben spent the entire week with Carlos. They did absolutely everything together. They went to the park, picnics, day-trips and Ben would even sleep most nights at Carlos' place. Ben would tell me everything about his day and I could see with each passing day that he was closer to calling Carlos ''dad''. All in all, it was a win-win situation: father and son were bonding and I could settle myself in my new job and easily prepare everything for the arrival of Carlos' parents tonight. I was currently finishing the final touches of my makeup when Ben came running inside my room.

''Mommy, mommy, I finished the drawings you told me to do for my new grandparents!''

''Did you do one for you father too?''

''I did. Look!'', he said as he handed me the drawings.

''They're beautiful, my love. Now hurry up to the living room, they'll arrive any minute. I'll be there in a second, okay?''

''Okay...'', he replied as he ran to the living room.

           I had barely gotten to the living room when the doorbell rang. I took a deep breath and opened the door.

''Good evening, Mr. and Mrs. Sainz, it's nice to meet you.'', I greeted in Spanish, ''Carlos.''

''Please, call us-''

''Daddy!'', Ben exclaimed as he wrapped himself around Carlos' leg.

''What did you just say?'', Carlos asked, a clear mixture of surprise and happiness in his voice as he kneeled beside Ben and gently held his face between his hands.

''I called you daddy because you're my dad.'', Ben giggled.

''Indeed I am.'', Carlos said as he kissed the top of Ben's head and embraced him..

               I could hardly believe what I'd just heard. Ben had finally acknowledged that Carlos was his father and had addressed him as such. I looked at Carlos and all I could see was love and adoration in his eyes. I smiled at the sight, glad that this moment had finally arrived.

''Why don't you guys come inside? It isn't big and fancy, but it suits us just fine.''

''It's perfect.'', Carlos' mother said.

''Thank you. If you'll please be seated, I'll bring the appetizers in a minute.''

''Thank you.'', Carlos Sr. replied.

                  I made my way to the kitchen and picked up the charcuterie board I had prepared. I set it down on the coffee table and sat down in the only available seat: next to Carlos. I motioned for everyone to start eating and Ben insisted on doing so on Carlos' lap.

''So, Olivia, tell us, what made you want to become an engineer?'', Carlos' mother asked.

''Please, call me Via.'', I smiled, ''Well, growing up in Monaco, I was always interested in F1. It's not that I don't enjoy the race per se, but I found the mechanical aspects of it way more interesting. So I decided to move to the US to pursue my studies and did so for the past decade. Now I'm finally back in Europe for work and I'm glad I can raise Ben here.''