Careless Whisper

Via's POV - five years ago at the Monaco GP- Musée Océanographique

             Somehow Charles had convinced me to go to the GP afterparty in his place. He got sick at the last minute, but didn't want the invitation to go to waste. I didn't have any dresses, let alone brought one from the States, so I had to ask my mom for one of hers. I ended up picking a black satin spaghetti strap dress. As soon as I got there, I quickly looked for the most secluded spot in the room and made a beeline for it. Before I sat down, I managed to grab a drink with one of the waiters. I sat down on an empty chair and began scanning the room. I wasn't a fan of crowds, but people-watching could be soothing at times. I was lost in thoughts when suddenly a deep voice interrupted my thought.

"You find people-watching soothing too?", the voice asked.

                I turned around and was met by the most stunning brown eyes I had ever seen. Those eyes had a power to draw you in. And then it hit me. Carlos Sainz was talking to me. THE Carlos Sainz was talking to me. Even though other pilots were currently getting more attention from the media, Carlos Sainz had been my favorite pilot for quite a while now. Not just my favorite pilot, but the best looking one on the grid. And he was here talking to ME. Why?!?

"I, uh, I guess."

"Well, great minds think alike.", he grinned.

"I'll drink to that.", I said, raising my glass.

               He raised his glass and we toasted. Gosh, he's even hotter in person. How is that even possible?!?

"I'm sorry, I didn't introduce myself. I'm-"

             I placed a finger on his lips before he could finish his sentence, feeling a sudden and unexpected surge of boldness.

"No names, it takes away half the fun.

"Mysterious, aren't we?"

"A little..."

"Then what can we talk about?"

"Anything you'd like..."

"Why don't we go outside on the balcony so we can talk?", he asked, his eyes suddenly darkening.

"I'd like that..."

               He placed his hand on the small of my back and guided me through the crowd. I don't know what was happening, but his touch lit my entire body on fire. It's like I felt alive for the first time in my entire life. What is happening to you, Via?!? You're not usually like this... get your act together! Once we sat down, I observed his face more closely. His features were chiseled and his eyes crinkled when he smiled. His suit was obviously tailor made, sticking to him in all the right places. When my eyes returned to his face, he was already looking at me.

"Like what you see?", he asked in a low, sultry voice.

"As a matter of fact, I do.", I smiled, not mad I had been caught, "What about you?", I asked, touching his hand.