Angel Eyes

Y/N's POV - third week of August

           Our little routine started slowly forming: I'd take Ben to school in the morning, go to work and Carlos would pick him up after work and take him to my place. They would also stop along the way and do something fun. Carlos would even eat afterwards at my place most of the nights at Ben's request. These dinners were also the perfect occasion for me to tell Carlos a little bit more about Ben growing up each time: his tastes, his little quirks, his personality. When it came to race weekends and we both had to leave, our wonderful nanny would come to my place and stay with Ben.

''Via, what was it like when you found out you were pregnant? How did you find out?'', Carlos asked as we were chopping some vegetables for dinner one night.

''My period was a few days late, but I didn't think much about it until a couple days later I started feeling different. I was feeling quite queasy and my breasts were really sore. At first I thought my period would be coming, but suddenly this little voice in my head told me to do a pregnancy test and I did.''

''Were you, uh, how did you feel when you found out you were pregnant?'', he shyly asked.

''Shocked, to be honest. For a minute I asked myself how it happened, but then I remembered we didn't, uh, we didn't use... I also didn't do anything the following day, so you see what happened.''

''I see...'', he replied, lowering his gaze.

''But as soon as I had my first ultrasound and heard his tiny little heart beating, I was smitten. My maternal instincts immediately kicked in and I knew I'd do anything for him.''

''If I feel that way, imagine you...''

''Well, my first trimester was awful, but the rest went on just fine.''

''How did you tell your family? I mean, how did you tell them about me?'', he asked as we started setting the table.

''I told them I met someone at the afterparty that night and, uhm, that's it. They insisted on knowing who the father was, but I couldn't tell them... not when Charles knew you.''

''I'm sorry to hear that... I only now realize how hard it must have been on you and why you didn't tell me about Ben sooner.''

''It's okay... I'm glad you understand.''

''So, how did the labor go?''

''Surprisingly fast for a first time mother. My mother was with me the whole time, so I guess that helped a lot.'' But I wish you had been there, I wish you had been there to hold our newborn son.

''And did you... did you breastfeed him?''

''Yes, for a year. I started him on solids at six months, but only completely weaned him when he turned one.''

''And was the postpartum ok?'', he asked.

''Kinda... I mean, your hormones are a mess and it takes a while to get back on your feet. Doing it alone doesn't he- sorry, I didn't mean it like that.'', I muttered, lowering my face.

''Via, there's nothing to worry about... I know you meant no harm.'', he said as he caressed my arm, ''You shouldn't have gone through it alone, I should have been there. I will be from now on, I promise.''

              I looked up at him. His eyes seemed to invite you in. It was as if those eyes could unravel the thoughts hidden within my own mind. I was lost in his eyes, when all of a sudden Ben came running towards us.

''Mommy, daddy, when can we eat? I'm hungry.'', he asked, jumping up and down between us, forcing me to remove my eyes from Carlos.

''It's ready, mi amor.'', Carlos replied as he scooped him up in his arms and peppered him with kisses all over his face.

''You have to kiss mommy too now...'', Ben giggled.

              My eyes shot up to Carlos and I could see he was blushing as well. He slowly lowered Ben to the ground and cleared his throat.

''Ben, uh, remember how mommy told you daddy and I weren't together, that we didn't live in the same place?'', I asked as I kneeled next to him.

''Yes...''

''Well, that means daddy can't kiss mommy.''

''Oh...''

''But that doesn't mean I can't kiss you!'', I exclaimed as I peppered him with kisses and tickled him.

           His laughter filled the air and I pulled him to my embrace, cherishing every second of it, knowing that moments like these were slipping through my fingers.