- 004

Mandi had arranged to go to the mall with Jake and Johnnie, much to Maria's dismay.

"I don't know what the issue is, Maria."

Maria sighed. "I don't know, either. I mean, you know about my past, what Kansas was like."

"But didn't you say to Jake he was one of the only good parts of it?"

"Yeah, and he was, but not, like, heavily. I didn't really know him, he was just a funny guy from math class."

"I'm still not seeing why this means you don't wanna get to know him."

"Because he just reminds me of Kansas, Mandi, and everything that went wrong there. He doesn't know what happened, what if he accidnetally brings something up and it sends me spiralling?"

"You ran away and changed your surname, I think he gets the message that you don't wanna talk about Kansas."

"If he got the message he wouldn't have spoken to me the other day, or brought up my search parties. I'm just not feeling it, Mands. I'm not stopping you from going, I just won't."

Mandi sighed. She hated how introverted Maria could be at times. At this point, it wasn't just a case of being shy. Maria's only close friend was Mandi, and she had two friends at work, but they were only really work friends.

However, she couldn't force Maria to go out and risk reliving her path for the sake of some guy she used to sit next to in math, so Mandi just went on her own.

She had a decent time with the guys, Johnnie being a lot less shy today than he had been when they'd first met in Target. All three of them were being noticed all day, and Mandi was surprised at how many people knew Johnnie and Jake. She'd have to check how many subscribers they had.

As they walked around one of the stores, Johnnie looking at a belt that had caught his eye, Jake turned to Mandi.

"Hey, how come Maria didn't come today?" Jake asked. Mandi debated telling him the real reason. It's not like it was necessarily anything bad, but Maria's worries did seem a little personal, so Mandi decided against being honest.

"Oh, she just wasn't really feeling it," she lied.

Jake frowned, and Mandi worried for a second. Could he tell she was lying? Surely he couldn't, it wasn't an unbelievable lie.

"Oh no, is she okay?" He asked, and Mandi internally sighed in relief.

"I don't know, seems pretty sick, nothing she can't get over, though."

"Well maybe she can hang with us another time."

Mandi suddenly felt sad. "Yeah, hopefully."

Jake didn't seem to notice Mandi's sad mood, and the two were broken out of their conversation by Johnnie.

"Do you guys like this?" He asked, holding a belt. It looked like a BB belt, but was actually a much cheaper alternative. Still pricy as hell for a belt, Mandi thought.

"Dude, that's sick," Jake said, walking over to Johnnie and grabbing the belt.

"I don't know if it's me," Johnnie said.

"Who cares if it's you?" Mandi asked, taking the belt from Jake. Without warning, she wrapped it around Johnnie's hips to see what it'd look like on. Johnnie looked at Jake with some sort of panic on his face, Jake smirking. "See? Looks awesome."

"Yeah, Johnnie, looks awesome," Jake said, "Any words?"

Johnnie looked at Mandi, who was stood extremely close to him, then down at her hands, which were holding the belt in place right above his crotch area.

"I'm gonna buy it," Johnnie managed to shake out, causing Mandi to move and hand the belt back to him, smiling as if she hadn't just been two inches away from his face.

"I'll wait outside the store for you guys," she said. As Jake and Johnnie went up to the counter, Mandi went to sit on one of the benches outside.

She scrolled through her phone when a Twitter notification appeared. She opened it to find a picture of her and Jake. They weren't stood close, but the angle made it seem like they were. She instantly rolled her eyes at the caption.

👤: OMG just saw @JakeWebber@ AND @mandiwithani together and they're stood so close??? what is going on!!!!! honestly i kind of hope they're dating they'd be so cute😭

COMMENTS
👤: idk who she but she looks more like johnnie's type

👤: what about our lovely lesbian women

👤: NOOO JAKE WHAT ABOUT US!

Jake and Johnnie came out of the store, and Mandi was instantly aware of Jake holding his phone over her, snapping a picture.

"What are you doing?" She asked.

"You just looked so cutesy sat here all alone," Jake said.

"You're weird. You know what's weirder, though?"

"What?"

"Check your twitter mentions."

Jake pulled out his phone, instantly rolling his eyes at the same tweet Mandi had saw.

"Can't I just hang out with a woman? Jesus. One sec, I know how to fix this."

Liked by johnnieguilbert, mandiwithani and 78,928 others

JAKEWEBBER9 | weird emo freak (NOT my girlfriend) spotted in the mall. could someone tell her to leave? thanks

USER9204: that's one way of denying the rumours

JOHNNIEGUILBERT: i'm still not buying it

"That was a little mean," Mandi said to Jake.

"It worked, didn't it?"

"I don't know, Johnnie doesn't seem to convinced."

The three laughed.