- 014

As Jake was cooking breakfast, Johnnie walked out of his bedroom. "You're in an awfully good mood," he said to Jake, who was dancing around the kitchen as he cooked pancakes.

"I feel amazing," he said.

"Yeah, we came in and heard you two."

Jake almost dropped the pan on the ground. "You what?!"

"We heard you two giggling like crazy."

"Oh. Oh, okay."

"What did you think we heard?"

"Nothing!"

"Jake."

Jake sighed, motioning for Johnnie to join him in the kitchen. Johnnie walked over, and Jake began whispering.

"Me and Maria hooked up."

Johnnie gasped, and Jake slapped a hand over his mouth. "Why are you being so quiet?" Johnnie asked, "The girls are upstairs."

"Still."

"So what happened?"

"I just told you."

"You told me you hooked up, you didn't tell me how, or why, or what happened after."

"I don't know, Johnnie, it just- it just kind of happened. And it was, like, really good-"

"Don't need details of the actual sex."

"Right. Anyway, we went to sleep, and this morning we talked and she said she actually likes me, but she doesn't wanna take things too fast, which I'm okay with, but I'm also kind of worried."

"How come?"

"Remember when she spoke to Adam in the coffee shop and Mandi said they always get back together? Well, they did get back together, and I'm scared it's gonna happen again."

"They won't."

"How do you know?"

"Because the difference back then was that you weren't there. Not in this sense anyway. I don't know that much about Adam, but I know what he did yesterday, and that alone is enough to tell me that you're a million times better than him. Maria knows that. If she didn't she wouldn't have slept with you."

"I hate when you act all mature."

"I'm twenty-five, I should probably be doing it more often."

"No thank you. Hey, you know she's probably gonna talk to Mandi about this."

"That much is obvious."

"If Mandi tells you anything, you need to tell me."

"I doubt she will, Jake."

"You're kidding. She likes you, of course she will."

Johnnie coughed. "What? No she doesn't, don't be stupid."

"Johnnie! Even I'm not that blind, she makes it so obvious!"

"Shut up and make breakfast, bitch."

Maria stood up from bed, heading to the guest bedroom, figuring that's where Mandi was

Maria stood up from bed, heading to the guest bedroom, figuring that's where Mandi was. Mandi was sat up in bed, texting someone.

"Who you texting?" Maria asked.

"The landlord. Making sure she gets the locks changed."

"Are you mad at me?"

Mandi sighed, patting the space next to her on the bed. Maria lay down, cuddling into Mandi.

"I'm not mad at you, even I was starting to be fooled by Adam. But this has to be the end. This has to be the last time."

"It is."

"How am I meant to know that, Maria? You said that seven years ago."

"Because I-" Maria sat up, "I slept with Jake."

Mandi smiled widely. "Finally! Oh my god, I should've made a bet."

"What?"

"It was so obvious he's, like, falling for you, I didn't know it was reciprocated. So what now?"

"Wait. Falling for me?"

"Yeah. You're not falling for him?"

"Not yet. But I think I could."