- 012

Maria and Adam had been together for a month now, back in contact for two. Everything seemed fine, until one day Maria showed up at Adam's house without warning.

She didn't think this was a bad thing. They showed up to each other's places all the time without telling the other, they even had spare keys.

She walked in and called out to him, hearing shuffling from upstairs. "Babe? It's Maria!" She shouted. She jumped when she heard him storming down the stairs, a sound she hadn't heard for seven years.

"What are you doing here?" Adam asked.

"Um- I was just walking past, I thought I'd come in and say hi."

"Did I tell you to come over?"

"No, but-"

"Then why are you here?"

"Adam, what? We always just walk into each other's houses, I didn't think it'd be an issue. What's going on?"

"What do you mean what's going on? Do I have to have something going on to not want you in my house?"

Maria was in complete shock. She thought Adam had changed, but he was treating her the exact same was as he had in the past, the only difference was she couldn't actually stand up for herself.

"Yeah, actually, it does." Maria tried to go upstairs, but Adam blocked her. "Move."

"No."

"So something's going on."

"No, I just don't want you going through my house when you're acting like a fucking psycho."

"Psycho?"

Maria pushed Adam out of the way and went to go up the stairs, when he grabbed her and pulled her backwards. Maria tried to push him off, but he grabbed her wrists and pinned her against the wall. Her phone, which was in her hand, fell to the ground.

"You go up those stairs and we're done, Maria, do you hear me?"

Maria scoffed, "We're done anyway."

Adam let go of one of Maria's wrists, punching her right in the face, which resulted in her falling out of his grasp. She was still for a second, trying to process the pain she hadn't felt since she was seventeen.

She was upset, she was really upset. She felt like she could cry. But she wasn't gonna show Adam that side of her again, because she knew that's what he wanted. Instead, she pushed him backwards, him hitting the wall. She picked up her phone and walked away.

"Asshole," she said, "I don't even care what's going on up there, we're done."

Adam tried to go after her, but she was out of the door too quickly. When she got to the car she looked at her phone, which was completely smashed.

"Stupid fucking iPhones," she whispered. Before she began to cry. She started driving, not sure where she was going until she ended up in Jake and Johnnie's driveway.

She knew Johnnie wasn't home because he was out with Mandi and Tara, but Jake's Tesla was parked in the drive. She didn't wanna burden him, but she couldn't be alone.

So, she got out of the car and started non stop knocking on the door until Jake answered. As soon as he answered, she didn't even give him a chance to speak, just wrapping her arms around his waist and hugging him.

"Maria? What's up?" He asked.

Maria pulled away, Jake's eyes widening when he saw the forming bruise on her face. "Adam, he-"

"Wait, wait."

Jake led Maria into the house and closed the front door. They sat down in the living room, Jake keeping his hand on Maria's shoulder as if to comfort both of them.

"Alright, what happened?"

"I think he cheated on me or soemthing. We always go over to each other's houses unannounced, it's just normal, but today he got really mad at me for it, and he wouldn't let me go upstairs. I tried to push him out of the way, but he grabbed me, and he told me that if I go upstairs then we're done. I said we were done anyway, so he hit me. I pushed him off and I left, but- I'm scared. It's like, he didn't wanna break up, he hit me for even suggesting it, but he's the one who threatened me with it. I don't wanna go home. I'll be alone, and he has a spare key, and-"

"Then stay here. I'll text Johnnie and tell him to get Mandi to stay over, too, then you guys can get the locks changed first thing in the morning."

"Neither of us have any stuff here."

"Then let's go over and get it."

"But-"

"Do you really think he'd go to your house straight after the argument?"

"No."

"And I'll come with you. Don't worry, we'll be quick."

"Yeah, okay."

Jake and Maria drove to her apartment, which was luckily empty. Maria packed bags for both her and Mandi while Jake waited in the living room, before texting their landlord that the lock needed to be changed.

With that, they left and went back to Jake's house, sitting back on the couch. Maria was quiet.

"Do you wanna talk about it?" Jake asked.

"I already did."

"Not about what happened, Maria. How you feel."

"Oh. No, not really. Not yet." Maria sighed. "Can I-" She moved closer to Jake, and he took the hint, opening his arms. She cuddled into him, closing her eyes, feeling at peace.