- 015

Jake and Maria were in his bedroom eating the pancakes Jake had made, when Mandi finally decided to leave the guest room and go downstairs to the living room. Johnnie looked her up and down in her short pyjamas, before looking back at his phone.

"Morning," he said.

"Morning," Mandi smiled, "You're up early."

"I couldn't sleep, I was worried."

"Worried?" Mandi sat next to Johnnie on the couch. "About what?"

"About Adam, and that spare key Maria mentioned. Just worried about you and Maria."

Mandi smiled sweetly, placing her hand on Johnnie's knee. "You have nothing to be worried about, Johnnie, that's why we're here. And we're gonna get the locks changed as soon as possible. Adam's gone now, and I really think it's for good."

"You do?"

"Well obviously. Didn't Jake tell you?"

"No, he did. I honestly didn't see it coming."

"Me neither, not with Mr. Asshole in the way, but I think they deserve each other. Especially Maria, she needs healing, I think Jake can really help that."

"Mhm."

"Is that all you were worrying about?"

"Yeah, why?"

"I don't know, you just seem a little down, that's all."

"I'm okay, just... a lot on my mind, that's all."

"Do you wanna talk about it?"

"No, it's fine, I've got it all off my chest for now, I wouldn't wanna burden you."

Mandi stood up from the couch. "You wouldn't burden me, Johnnie, but if you don't want to I get that." She ruffled his hair. "I'm gonna make myself some coffee, you want any?"

"No, thanks."

He knew he wouldn't burden Mandi with anything he wanted to talk about, she wasn't like that, she was a really good listener, but this was something he couldn't talk to her about. That was okay, though. He'd spoken to Tara about it.

Tara sat down next to Johnnie on the bench in the mall, outside the store Mandi was shopping in. It was a little crowded, and Mandi was really the only one who wanted to go in there, so Tara and Johnnie decided to wait outside.

"You okay?" Tara asked. Johnnie looked up at her, a little surprised she could so easily detect his mood.

"Yeah, why?" He lied.

"Don't lie, Johnnie. You look all emo."

"Well duh."

"Emotional, idiot. What's got you down?"

Johnnie sighed. "It's Mandi."

"What? What'd she do? I thought Mandi was really sweet."

"She is, that's the problem."

"Oh. Oh, shit! You like Mandi?"

"Keep your voice down! But yeah, I do, and I don't know what to do about it."

"Why not? Just ask her out."

"And risk being rejected?"

"You never know, she might like you."

"She doesn't act like it."

"How are you meant to act like you like someone?"

"You just do. I don't know, maybe she likes me, she's kinda touchy with me, and really really nice, but she's like that with everyone, so it's hard to tell, especially when I'm getting so in my head about it. I just wish she'd be more obvious about her feelings, like Jake with Maria. I mean, he acts super jealous when she mentions Adam, or when he's around."

"Well how is Mandi meant to act jealous about you? You get zero bitches, she has no one to be jealous of."

"That's a little rude. True, but rude."

"Oh my God, I have an idea!"

"Uh oh."

"Why don't we just fake date? Actually, no, not fake date, because then Mandi will never wanna be with you because you've been with her friend, but why don't we just act, like, super close and flirty and see if she gets jealous."

"Tara, that's an absolutely terrible idea. What if it makes her back off and she stops liking me, if she even does in the first place."

"You don't know until you try."

Johnnie remembered their conversation, and Tara was right, they wouldn't know until they tried. Maybe it was a stupid idea, but he didn't plan on confessing anytime soon, so it was practically this or nothing.

"Hey, Mands, tell Jake I'm out," he said, standing up from the couch.

"Where are you going?" Mandi asked.

"Tara's."

"Oh, you need a ride?"

Johnnie thought for a minute. Did he? It's not like he could drive, and Tara's house wasn't really within walking distance.

"Yeah, I'll take a ride."

"Alright, just give me, like, ten minutes to get dressed."

Mandi ran up and got dressed into some jeans and a t-shirt, throwing her shoes on and leaving, not even telling Johnnie, he just followed her. She was always doing that, expecting people to read her mind. The thing about Johnnie was that he pretty much could.

They drove to Tara's house, and she greeted Johnnie at the car, opening the door for him.

"Johnnie, hey!" She said, "You thought about what I said?"

"I have," Johnnie said, a little cautiously, "And it's a yes."

"Wait, what's a yes?" Mandi asked.

"Nothing!" Tara said, practically yanking Johnnie out the car, "See you later, Mands!"

Mandi was confused as she began to drive away. Ever since they met, Tara had kept absolutely nothing from her, sometimes it was more of a curse than a blessing.

What could Johnnie and Tara have been keeping from her?