- 013

Maria woke up on the couch in Jake's arms. He felt her head move, looking down at her.

"Well rested?" He asked.

"A little," she said, "How long did I sleep?"

"Only an hour. Power nap. You look cute when you sleep. Sorry, was that weird? I-"

Maria laughed, placing her finger over his lips to shut him up. "It's okay, Jake. I'm used to your weirdness."

"So it was weird."

"In a flattering way. Like when someone says my boobs look good. It's weird that they're looking, but I appreciate the compliment."

"I don't think you should appreciate people looking at your boobs."

"Please, like I haven't caught you looking multiple times." Jake choked on air, Maria standing up. "Can I get a drink?"

Jake cleared his throat. "Go ahead."

Maria walked over to the fridge and grabbed a can of Dr Pepper. She looked back at Jake, who was leaving on the couch, his arms on the back of it, manspreading. Suddenly she realised why she'd came to Jake of all people. She knew Mandi, Tara ir Johnnie would've stopped everything if Maria told them she needed them. She'd known Mandi almost ten years, she went to her with everything no matter how busy she was. But this time she wanted to go to Jake. She wanted Jake to know about the relationship ending, she wanted Jake to comfort her, she wanted Jake to-

"Taking pretty long getting a drink."

"Right, sorry. You want anything?"

Jake shook his head and Maria walked back over to the couch, cracking open her drink. When she sat down, she was disappointed that Jake's arm didn't immediately make its way back around her shoulders. As for Jake, he was longing to hug her, he just didn't know if she was still okay with that.

They sat and talked about nothing, both of them longing to cuddle into the other, until Maria finally decided to make a move. Jake was rambling on about something. She'd usually listen, but this particular rant was one he'd had before, Maria could predict every single word he was gonna say, so she cut him off, her lips on his, before quickly pulling away, shocked by her own action.

"Jake, I'm sorry, I-"

"Why are you saying sorry?"

"What?"

Jake leaned back in, Maria backing away slightly, before stopping. Their lips were almost touching, but neither made another move. "Can I?"

Maria nodded, and Jake reconnected their lips, the kiss a lot less abrupt this time. Maria instantly noticed the difference between Jake and Adam's lips. Jake was gentle, soft, caring. Adam was rough which, at time, was okay, but sometimes she just needed someone to be patient with her, like right now.

Jake's hands travelled to Maria's hips, guiding her to straddle his lap. She gasped as he placed her done, feeling his hardness under her.

His eyes widened in fear. "Are you okay with this?" He asked cautiously. Maria nodded eagerly before pushing her lips back against his.

Jake was careful with her. Every time he touched her somewhere new, he made sure it was okay. He made sure nothing hurt her - at least not in a bad way. He waited for her to finish, which Adam rarely did. After three rounds, they were both tired, but Jake still got Maria cleaned up and helped her change into her pyjamas, before lying down next to her and pulling her into him to cuddle.

"You okay?" He asked.

Maria smiled. "I'm okay."

Maria woke up the next morning at six o'clock, still in Jake's arms

Maria woke up the next morning at six o'clock, still in Jake's arms. She felt guilty. Partly because she'd only just got out of a relationship, partly because she didn't feel ready for another boyfriend yet, but mostly, she felt guilty because she didn't regret.

Truthfully, Adam was the only person Maria had ever had sex with. She thought he was good at it, having nothing to compare it to until now, but here she was, lying with Jake, realising Adam really wasn't all that good.

She went into the bathroom to brush her teeth and make herself look at least slightly presentable, changing into comfy sweats and sitting back down against the headboard of the bed, scrolling on her phone.

Jake soon stirred awake, smiling as he looked down at Maria.

"Good morning, sunshine," he said, getting up from bed, heading into the bathroom and brushing his teeth, before talking again to Maria. "You want anything for breakfast?" Maria sighed. "Oh no, did I do something wrong? Did you not finish, because usually I'm-"

"Woah, Jake, it's not that, just- I don't know. I liked last night."

"Good. I kind of pride myself at being a kind in the bedroom, so I'd be really embarrassed if I wasn't."

"Right."

"Do I need to sit down?"

"If you want." Jake hesitantly sat down next to Maria. "I really enjoyed last night, and I really do like you. But I don't know if I'm ready for a relationship again yet. You know how Adam was, not to mention I just got out of that. I want this to work, but are you okay if we just take things slow? No boyfriend and girlfriend, no sex, just us hanging out?"

Jake considered her words, before smiling widely, "That's totally okay. Whatever makes you comfortable. Seriously, though, do you want breakfast? I'm getting hungry."

"Yes, please."

Maria began to stand up, but Jake pushed her back down. "Nuh uh, I'm bringing you breakfast in bed." He placed a kiss on Maria's temple before walking out, both of them as happy as ever.