⚠️JOANNA⚠️

(This chapter contains the subject of eating disorders.)

"You're going to do great. I have faith that you will get through this. Don't worry about anything but getting better." She broke down in tears. "Holden, I'm so scared. I really do want to get better, but I don't know if I can."

Held her and kissed the top of her head. "You can do anything that you want to do."

"I want to go home. I want to call Bodhi and tell him to come home. I want to go to school."

"Do you want to go get a pizza?" 

She shook her head. 

"Then you need to go into this place and work on things so that when you get out, you and I can get a slice."

"Okay. But no pepperoni."

"How can you not like pepperoni on pizza? You really are something else, Perri."

"But you love me. So, I got that going for me. I'll let you know how I am doing when I can. I gave your name as someone they can discuss my treatment with so you can get updates when I am not allowed to use my phone."

He raised an eyebrow. "Is Bodhi on that list?" Holden asked.

"No. You can tell him how I am doing. But please don't talk about anything else. Okay? All I want to hear is how his career is going. 

"You really want him out of your life? Are you sure? He loves you, Perri. He would do anything for you."

"I know. And that includes giving up everything for me. I can't have him do anything of the sort."

Holden turned and looked at her. 

"What?" she asked.

"Did you sleep with him the night of the cookout?"

"HOLDEN! Do you really want to know if your little sister slept with your best friend?"

"I'm pretty sure I already know the answer, Persephone."

"Then why do I need to answer? Why don't you ask Bodhi."

"Bodhi is not going to tell me that he had sex with my sister."

"No. I didn't have sex with him." She opened the door. 

He put his forehead on the steering wheel. "Thank you, sweet baby Jesus." He got out, popped the trunk, and pulled out her suitcase. 

As they were getting her things out, a girl approached them. She was a cute redhead with a beautiful smile. She looked like she was in her mid-twenties.

"Hi. I'm Joanna Cepek-Willett! I'm your roommate and the unofficial welcome wagon!" She grabbed Perri, hugging her and swinging her side to side. "I am so excited that you are here. I haven't had a roommate since I got here. I haven't been here very long, but I am a social person, and I hate not having someone to talk to. I think we are going to have so much fun while they force us to eat pop tarts. So, what kind of music do you listen to? I listen to all kinds. Come on, let's get you inside so they can search your stuff, and then you can get settled in. Sounds good?"

"Wow, you are a chatty one, aren't you?" Holden said, closing the trunk. "My sister loves to talk."

Perri shot him her Persephone look. Holden gave her a big cheesy grin. He knew that she, in fact, did not like talking at all. She would rather have her nose in a book and music in her ears.

Holden hugged his sister. "You're an asshole Holden," she whispered in his ear. 

"I think she's going to be good for you. You need to break out of your comfort zone, and I am sure you will need someone to talk to about Bodhi."