UNWELCOME HOME

They sat in comfortable silence on the drive back home. They listened to their playlist and held hands. He would look at her and the beautiful smile on her face. He didn't want this to end. He just wanted to drive forever. He squeezed her hand as a tear ran down his cheek.

"Bodhi? What's wrong?"

"My feelings for you are so intense, Periwinkle. It hurts sometimes."

"It's okay. I understand. There were nights I would lie in bed and think of you. Think about us, and my heart would ache. Some nights, I wondered if I was having another heart attack. It hurt so bad."

They pulled into the drive. 

It was an unseasonably warm day. The James' were happy that they could have the party outside. The sun was warm, and the temperature was up to 68 degrees.

"I think we're late. There are a lot of cars here. Are you sure you're okay with this? Being put on display? People asking you questions."

"No, I want to be the center of attention. I worked hard, and I am a success story. I persevered. I am strong. I am fucking Persephone Athena James." She kissed him on the cheek and bounded out of the car. "Are you coming?"

He looked at her. He liked this new Periwinkle. She was brave and confident. She knows what she wants, and she goes for it.

She took him by the hand and drug him to the backyard. He knew the yard was filled with over a dozen people who knew what happened. Over a dozen or more people who hate him or are disappointed in him. 

She went through the gate.

"HELLO EVERYBODY! I'M HERE! THE PARTY CAN START NOW!"

All heads turned, and everyone clapped. She took a bow and started walking through the yard. Some people were not sure if they should smile at her or scowl at Bodhi. 

He watched her make her way through the crowd of people. She was smiling and gaving hugs. She looked like a bride greeting her guests. He sat alone in the corner of the yard where people wouldn't notice him. 

She was looking around and found him in the corner. She sat down on the ground in front of him.

"What are you doing over here all alone? Why aren't you with the other Musketeers? You haven't seem them in four months."

"It's complicated."

"Is it because you have been gone, and things feel a little awkward? Life in England has to be so different."

"Yeah. I wouldn't say I like it there. It's so lonely. The people are not very friendly. I spend a lot of my time in my apartment watching movies."

"Do you watch any of our favorites?" she asked.

"I do. All the time."

"We should totally FaceTime and watch movies together! Now that I am allowed to use my phone at my leisure."

"I think that is a fantastic idea, Periwinkle." He leaned forward. She got to her knees, and they kissed.

"So, what did you want to talk about that is not a bad thing?" Bodhi asked.

Excitement crossed her face. "Okay. First, I am not going to go to school to be a psychiatrist. I decided I decided to do something that makes me happy. Bodhi, I am going to culinary school. I know it sounds weird, given the circumstances. I just loved learning about food and how it fuels the body. How if it is used properly, we shouldn't fear it. I want to open a restaurant. When I turn twenty-three, I get access to my trust fund Nana and Poppy set up. There's more than enough in there. And I was hoping my husband, who will be a baller in the NBA, would think about investing."