#025

i stood by the bed, watching yeonjun doze off sleepily. it was a hassle to get out of his grip since he didn't let me go but after struggling, i managed to slip out.

i don't know how long things lasted between us... maybe 4 months? 5 months? 6 months? i lost count with how my head gnawed me with conflicting thoughts ever since the realm called me back. i really wasn't myself and had to think things over twice, triple or quadruplet times. i wasn't sure if i was doing the right thing. i knew i wasn't doing the right thing.

my hands went to caress his head. i froze slightly when yeonjun shifted and turned. fortunately, his eyes didn't blink open so i heaved a sigh of relief. i didn't want him to know i was gonna return to the realm tonight but i knew he will wake up to find me gone from his side.

"i'm sorry," i mumbled and took a step back. "but i need to return to clarify your fate..."

one good thing about me being a cupid is that i had easy and quick access to every human being's soulmate after requesting the council to showcase them. this was to make it easier for cupid's to match their assigned human. another good, or bad, thing is that for cupids who fall in love with their assigned target, like me unfortunately, they can either be over the moon or be dejected from reading their fate.

unfortunately, i do not know which i would be feeling when i read it.

but the more i walk away from yeonjun's room, the more my heart raced in anxiety. my legs automatically brought me to the rooftop where the sky was alive to witness me. with fisted hands, i blinked. as my eyes slowly opened, the graceful and heavenly looking realm invited me with its ethereal beauty. the soft glow of the surroundings usually brought me comfort, but this time, it only added to my unease. as i hurried through the celestial corridors, the weight of my realization pressed heavily on my chest.

reaching the celestial council's chambers, i found myself standing before the grand entrance. the imposing doors swung open as i stepped inside. the council members, adorned in radiant attire, turned their attention toward me.

"y/n, you've returned earlier than expected," one of the council members noted, his voice resonating with authority.

i took a deep breath, trying to compose myself before addressing them. "i need to check yeonjun's fate. there must be some mistake. it could be possible we are meant for each other. i just don't know if we are meant to be together.."

the council members exchanged glances, their expressions revealing a mix of concern and understanding. the elder council member, with his long white beard, spoke, "not every cupid has a thread woven to a human. i doubt you have a human as a soulmate, y/n."

"how can you just assume?" i frowned, feeling my throat clump.

"y/n—"

"please let me believe that he's my thread. i guided him, spent time with him, and i've fallen in love with him," i pleaded, my voice breaking with emotion.

the council members exchanged another glance before one of them approached me with a compassionate look. "sweetheart, love is a beautiful yet unpredictable force. it doesn't always align with our expectations. we understand your feelings, but you must trust in the greater plan."

"what are you trying to say?"

the council members initiated the process to unveil yeonjun's fate. i stood there, anxiously waiting, my heart pounding in my chest. the celestial energies swirled around, revealing the intricate pattern of my lover's destiny.

as the vision materialized, Ii felt a lump forming in my throat. the threads of fate showed a different path for yeonjun, one that didn't intertwine with mine. the realization hit me like a tidal wave, crashing against the walls i had built around my heart.

"i'm sorry, y/n," the elder council member spoke softly. "the threads of fate are immutable. yeonjun's destiny lies on a different course."

unable to contain my emotions, i turned and hurriedly left the council chambers. the celestial realm blurred as my tears welled up. i needed a moment to process the truth, a moment to grapple with the fact that the one i loved wasn't meant to be mine.

regret slowly filled me as i made my way to my bow of fate, a sacred instrument that could alter destinies. the air felt heavy as I gripped the bow, the weight of my decision settling upon me. maybe i should've enjoyed my time with him more. maybe i should've been less conscious and be carefree. in a blink of an eye, i finally found myself standing in front of my man. he was still sleeping peacefully. my trembling hands struggled but after using every bit of strength in me, i strung an arrow, and with a deep breath, i aimed it at him. 

my heart clenched in sorrow. i hoped against hope that i could rewrite destiny, that i could change the course that seemed so painfully set. the threads of fate, however, held their ground, leaving me with a heart heavy with regret. i closed my eyes tightly and let out a shaky sigh, this was for the best, y/n.

but my journey didn't end there. there was one more thread that needed reweaving. another arrow, another shot at altering fate.

i guess the cupid's back into her own game, alright.