Chapter 10

Iver's Mommy smiles at me and says that although she loved having me over, I had to go with Ms. Carie. I look at Ms. Carie. She was tall, but to me everyone was tall. She wore heels too. She gave the impression that she was better than everyone else.

I leave Iver and go with the lady. Once we’re alone in the car she starts talking. This time, I know she’s talking to me, since there’s no one else.

“You really should talk, it makes it easier for me to find people to take care of you. But of course you wouldn’t talk. Too much self-esteem, but I have just the house for you, I have just the thing that will help with that and make you someone better.”

Her words left me confused, but I shrugged it off as something that adults said for jobs. Because it was only that- right?

“You’re a brat. I mean, why else would your mother leave you? You had to have been a self-proclaimed, arrogant, brat. It was that or the fact that you were a freak.”

I look at Ms. Carie confused. Why would I be a freak? I didn’t try to be arrogant, but I didn’t know what it meant, so I probably was. Why else would she say that? Mom’s lesson rings in my head.

Just because they say something doesn’t mean they meant it.

Ms. Carie had been really nice when we were with Iver's Mommy, so why was she not now. It was probably that. She didn't mean anything when we were in the house.

“You know you’re a freak right?” She turns to me and twists so she looks at me even though I’m sitting behind her in the car. It gives me a very uncomfortable, and unpleasant view of her cleavage. I look everywhere but at her.

“You’re a freak because your hair isn’t a normal color. Do you see anyone else with white hair? The only people who have white hair are about to die because they’re so old”

Her words make me think. I had noticed that. No one had white hair except the really old people who looked ready to lay down and die. As if reading my mind, Ms. Carie tells me I should go kill myself. Make it easier for her because she shouldn’t have to deal with freaks like me.

Why was she working with kids if she didn't like them?

By the time we get to the house I would be staying in I’m crying and holding my knees. I just wanted my Mommy. Or Stripes I didn’t like that man. He took Stripes and now I didn’t know where he was.

She grabs my hand and tells me to smile before dragging me out of the car and up the front steps to a house. The door opens and a lady who looks scary opens the door.

“What do you want?”

“This is Andrew. He’s your foster kid.” She says.

I look at her funny. My name was Cade. She knew my name was Cade. Before I can say anything we walk in and the lady goes off with Ms. Carie and an even scarier looking guy comes out. He glares at me and I back into a wall. He reminded me of the man who held me while they hurt Mommy.

Ms. Carie walks out the door and the lady comes back in telling the man something. They both look at me evilly and so I look away and back away from them. I didn’t like the way they looked at me.

The man grabs my hair and pulls my head up to look at him. Tears pool my eyes, but they tell me that if I cried at all, they would hurt me. They told me that it was time I got my welcome into their home.

The way they said it made me want to curl up in a ball and sob. The man comes back with a belt that would never fit around his waist so I wonder why he has it. That is until he hits me with it. It burns immediately and I yelp and cry.