Chapter 13

I sit in class humiliated. I had been at the front of the class while everyone else presented. I didn't talk, I was just there since I didn't talk, but the kids that I passed on my way back to my seat thought I did nothing.

I did a lot actually. While I was stopping Ears from commiting suicide they did nothing. So guess who stayed awake doing all the homework and dealing with a grumpy Ears.

The teacher introduced a new book. I don't pay attention since I won't be doing anything on it. She passes it out.

I look at the title, and for the first time in school since I moved here, I actually pick up what the teacher assigned.

I flip it over to read the back. The Little Prisoner by Jane Elliot

When Jane Elliott was four years old, the nightmare began. She became the helpless victim of a sociopath-bullied, dominated, and sexually abused by a man only fourteen years her senior: her stepfather. For nearly two decades she was held prisoner, both physically and emotionally. But at the age of twenty-one she escaped . . . and then she fought back.

The Little Prisoner is the shocking, astonishing, and ultimately uplifting true story of one woman's shattering twenty-year ordeal-and how she triumphed against an evil and violent human monster when honesty and bravery were her only weapons.

The second I finish reading I feel it. The urge to puke. We were reading this as a class. I grab all my stuff, walk to the front, put the book on the teachers desk and leave. Jasper is calling me back but I don't even face him.

I leave school.

-bullied, dominated, and sexually abused by a man only fourteen years her senior: her stepfather

It was too familiar. I puke into the bush and keep walking feeling dizzy.

Bullied, dominated, and sexually abused.

Is that all I was?

Dominated and sexually abused.

What did people think? Why were we reading that in school.

Sexually Abused

I lean against the wall. That's what happened. I always knew that's what happened, but I stopped myself from admitting it.

Abused

Why didn't I fight back?

I'm on the floor and I can't breathe. What was going on? Why were we reading that in school? Who would want to read that?

My chest hurts and burns but I can't soothe the pain. My lungs beg for air, but I can't get it. They did everything didn't they?

()

I wake up laying on the floor. It was dark. I get up and walk back to the Vinci house. How could I let that happen? That book was going to be the death of me.

I walk in and everyone is pacing or tapping furiously on their phones. Except Nur. He's typing so hard I'm surprised the keys don't fall off.

No one notices me so I just walk up the stairs. Just before I'm out of sight Eden sees me and announces it to the world. Everyone stops what they're doing and runs to me.

Everyone rushing at me freaks me out. It was freaking me out. I run to my room and lock my door.

"You gave us quite the scare Silent"