4. New Tail and Test Drive

Nighttime arrived and the two were back with the other students. They were on top of a watch tower with a fire in the middle for them to cook all of the food they had. Gobber was currently telling them a story of his past with a whole chicken on his hook.

"...And with one twist, he took my head and swallowed it whole! And I saw the look on his face, I was delicious! He must have passed the word because it wasn't a month before another one of them came and took my leg."

The group gasps.

"Isn't it weird to think your hand was inside a dragon?" Fishlegs questions, having the two chicken legs in his hands around, almost hitting Astrid. "Like if your mind was still in control of it, you could have killed the dragon from the inside by crushing its heart or something!"

"You have a weird imagination..." Hero mutters.

"I swear, I'm so angry right now!" Snotlout growls. "I'll avenge your beautiful hand and your beautiful foot! I'll chop off the legs of every dragon I fight, with my face!"

"No, it's the wings and the tail you really want. If it can't fly, it can't get away." Gobber informs, ripping a wing off of his chicken. "A downed dragon is a dead dragon."

Hero wasn't paying attention to his speech or really anything until Hiccup suddenly grabbed their wrist and dragged them to the bottom of the watchtower.

"Woah, Hiccup, what's wrong?" Hero asked, grabbing their friend's shoulder to keep him still.

"The dragon can't fly because his tailfin is missing and I feel really bad about it so...what if I made him a new one?" Hiccup suggests.

Hero's eyes widened as they crossed their arms. "Not like I doubt your craftsmanship or anything, but I don't think the dragon's going to just let you put some random object on him."

"Yes, I know that. That's why I wanted to ask you if you could create some type of distraction...please?"

"A distraction? You're asking a fisher for a distraction?"

"Not the type of distraction you're thinking of! To be more specific, I need you to gather as much fish as you can, put it in a barrel and take it to the dragons. It'll distract both of the dragons long enough for me to possibly put whatever tailfin I make on the Night Fury. Please, Hero, I want to help him.."

"You sound like every moron in a fantasy book but..." Hero takes a deep breath. "Fiiinneee...I'll do it."

"Yes! Thank you, Hero! I promise I'll make it up to you somehow!"

"Yeah, you better." Hero huffs. "Also you're helping me push the thing."

-----

"Koi!" Hero calls as they and Hiccup push a cart of fish to the edge of the clearing. The cart couldn't go through any holes so they were just going to deliver it from above.

"Koi?" Hiccup repeats.

"They're a part of the tidal class so I just named them after the Japanese fish. Now I just have to figure out what its gender is..."

"She's a girl."

Hero pauses and turns to Hiccup in confusion. "When in the hell did you have time to figure that out?"

Koi suddenly shows up in front of the two, cutting the conversation short. She looks at the fish in excitement.

"Hey, Koi, can you bring us down to the clearing?" Hero asks, concerning Hiccup.

"What!? I thought we were just walking back down?" He questions.

"They'd be done with the fish by then! This is the safest way! Besides, Koi's extremely friendly, she wouldn't let us fall or anything, right Koi?"