┊𝗫𝗜

──────══──────
『 𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝟬𝟭𝟭 』
──══──
Surprises

Mitsuki had mentioned he needed to visit Sarada, prompting Boruto and me to head back to the house. Upon our return, well past midday, I was surprised to find Himawari and Kawaki already back. Yet, the real intrigue lay in the unusual private conversation between Himawari and Kawaki.

Himawari spotted Boruto and me, rushing over with Kawaki following at a slower pace. She greeted me happily and promptly ushered Boruto into the house, leaving me perplexed.

"She seems happy," I mumbled, eliciting an annoyed groan from Kawaki.

"Yeah, she is."

"Why, though?"

Kawaki remained silent, stopping a foot or two away and avoiding eye contact, leaving me bewildered.

"Kawaki?" I questioned, and he extended his hand, drawing my attention.

In his palm rested a simple gold ring, widening my eyes. "Is that for me?" I mumbled.

"Yeah," he replied, finally meeting my gaze with his grey eyes, leaving me momentarily speechless.

"But, why?" I hesitated, taking the ring from his calloused hand.

Kawaki mumbled, "It's your birthday, isn't it?"

My eyes shifted from the ring to his, and I saw Kawaki tense under my gaze. "You remembered?" I said almost breathlessly.

"How could I forget?" he replied, and an unfamiliar warmth spread across my cheeks.

"You've already given me so much," I mumbled, and he shrugged while slipping his hands back into his pants. "I haven't given anything to you."

"You don't need to give anything to me," Kawaki reassured.

Confused, I looked into his eyes. "Why? You deserve it too. But, thank you," I said, slipping the ring onto my first finger on my right hand. "It's beautiful, thank you."

"Yeah, whatever," he replied, and I smiled at his nonchalant response.

My eyes caught Boruto sitting on the couch through the window, his gaze fixed on me, and my breath caught. Kawaki noticed and turned to see what had captured my attention.

"Tch," Kawaki muttered at the sight of Boruto staring.

A few moments later, a man in a peculiar mask appeared before us. "Boruto Uzumaki, Shin, and Kawaki are being requested by Lord Hokage," he stated monotonously before disappearing.

I pressed my lips together, contemplating what that could mean, and motioned for Boruto to join us. He did so immediately, sporting an annoyed expression. Before I could inquire about the issue, Kawaki gestured for us to hurry up, rendering our journey to the Hokage's office silent.

Our visit to the Hokage's Office centered around Katasuke's need to discuss the findings concerning Kawaki's arm. His conclusion was that fixing it required Kara's technology.

"I see... We'll need Kara's technology to repair Kawaki's body, huh?" Lord Seventh remarked.

"I'm analysing it as fast as I can, but even that is taking a while," Katasuke admitted with a defeated shrug.