13. Nanami and first meetings ✧

"Kuro, no-"

The cat goes under the bed with my ball of yarn.

So much for crocheting Kuro and Hachi winter hats.

Kuro will probably not even wear hers anyway.

Sighing, I crouch on my knees and peer under the bed.

Shooing the black furball, I reach for the yarn, my hand hitting a cardboard box in the process.

I take them both out.

"What's this doing here?"

I remove the lid and glance at its content, a smile unmistakeably forming on my lips.

Photos, cards, friendship bands and other little trinkets I had collected over the years.

Making myself comfortable on the rug, I pick out the photos.

The first is a photo I had taken of my messy desk in the library I used to work part-time.

That day, it was particularly messy, I can't even remember why.

I snort.

Why did I even take a picture of this, going as far to print it out as well?

Ah, but I suppose that's where I first met Nanamin.

~~~
"Thankyou, have a nice day, Nanami-san." A polite smile, one I had come to practise over the weeks of working in the library, was on my face as I handed him the book he was checking out.

Nanami responded with a nod and walked out the library with quick, brisk steps.

My eyes couldn't follow him out the door because another person came up to the counter and pushed a book towards me.

Nanami was a regular at the library I was working in.

I never really saw him outside the library but once, I had the chance to.

Maybe that's where friendship first started to blossom- over coffee and a crowded cafe.

I stepped into the cafe and noticed to my dismay that it was full.

My eyes ran over the place to see if there were any empty spots and that's when I saw Nanami sipping on a cup of what was probably coffee, an empty chair across him.

Hoping desperately that he was alone and that I wouldn't have to embarrass myself, I gingerly went around him and once I entered his line of sight, I asked if the seat was taken.

I took my place across him when he assured that he didn't mind me occupying the free seat.

Introductions were made again when the waiter stepped away to get my order.

It was when my phone rang with a notification that I realised I had to leave for the library.

"Oh no, I'm going to be late." Fumbling through my bag for my wallet, I rushed my words. "Thankyou for keeping me company, Nanami-san. I hope I wasn't so much a bother. I tend to talk too much at times."

I placed some bills on the table enough to pay for the both of us, and when I saw his lips slightly part to protest, I spoke quickly before he could.

"See you in the library!"

And then I was off.

~~~

A/N: Honourable mention - the idea of going through old photos together was suggested by my *cough* fri*nd, YuleSama .
Reader-san ended up going through the photos alone though :'( (for now :D)