14. Nanami is cute when embarrassed ✧

I wonder what face he had been making when I left.

I allow my thoughts to wander, putting down the photo back in the box.

They don't wander for long when I see the next picture.

This one is of the both of us together.

The book Nanami was returning that day was in my hold, my lips halfway through a word and the tiniest of relaxations in Nanami's face.

Haibara took this one.

~~~
Haibara had noticed Nanami sneaking off to the library more often and his curiosity had been piqued.

When asked, Nanami usually looked away and muttered feeble excuses like how he was reading more these days.

Which, in his defence, was not a lie.

He was reading more.

But he was talking more as well- specifically with the part-timer librarian who was always at the counter when he came to return a book or check one out.

Haibara had the grace to not tell his seniors about it to save Nanami the .... embarrassment? The teasing? The stalking?

Yes, Haibara wasn't going to tell a certain blue-eyed senior about Nanami's frequent visits to the library so that he and his best friend would tail Nanami to see what was up.

He was going to do it himself.

Along the way, he kept telling himself this was wrong and that Nanami wouldn't do the same if the roles had been reversed.

Nanami would have respected his privacy. Right?

And yet, his steps didn't slow down or stop.

Well, at least not until he reached the library.

There, the sight that welcomed was... Well, suprising.

Nanami was at the counter doing what looked to be returning a book.

And the female librarian- FEMALE, MIGHT HE ADD- behind the counter had an expression matching Nanami's pleasant one.

The book was in her hold but she made no move to enter it into the computer.

Instead, she continued to hold on to it, keeping conversation with the blonde.

Haibara couldn't help it.

He snapped a picture.

Would Nanami find out about it and chase him down asking for it to be deleted?

He would find out now.

Nanami, feeling eyes on him, turned and indeed found eyes on him- Haibara's wide ones in particular.

His expression instantly became grim.

Haibara, however, smiled and waved at him.

Uttering quick words to the lady behind the counter, Nanami marched towards him.

I followed his glare and that's when I first saw Haibara.

He seemed to be animatedly whispering to Nanami whose expression still looked sour.

He looked like he would come over but Nanami threw an arm around him and led him out in a rush.

Nanami didn't turn back for a goodbye probably in embarrassment, why I didn't know though, but the man under his hold did.

Swerving his head towards me, he grinned and waved at me.

This only encouraged Nanami to walk faster towards the exit.

Pfft-

Warmth filled my chest and my face probably had the same embarassed glow Nanami had on his when Haibara started firing off questions at him outside the library.

Cute.

________

The next time Nanami came to the library, he was not alone.

Haibara had tagged along at the cost of not sharing the photo to their seniors, who would've, without a doubt, made their way to the library the moment they had seen it.

And from then on, Haibara continued to accompany Nanami to the library.

I didn't mind.

Haibara-kun was a nice man.

And after all, this was what pushed Nanami to ask me out on a date.

~~~

A/N: I had so much fun writing this chapter :DDD