Christmas

Megumi was ten when he actually realized that he grew up happy.

His first memories are kind of shady for him, all blurry, he remembers the smell of cigarette smoke that always came from his dad, and the old wooden floor they had in their old apartment.

The way the patterns creaked under his steps, especially when he was going to his bed.

The bed, it's almost like he can hear it, feel it.

He remembers the sound the bed made when Megumi and his sister laid on it for the night.

He slightly remembers his dad's voice, it was deep and raspy.

There are only a few things that stuck with him.

People leaving him, those made a scar on his heart.

He remembers when Tsumiki's mom left.

He also remembers when his dad left and never came back.

Megumi remembers that the landlord gave them money after they couldn't find more inside the apartment. There wasn't any left, not even inside Toji’s jeans.

They searched through the entire house and still found nothing.

It was horrible, feeling hopeless.

Still he remembers Tsumiki taking care of him, even though she wasn't much older than Megumi was.

He remembers how brave she was when they had to walk through the dark streets.

He remembers that she always made the best tea, always.
Megumi still doesn't know what she put in there but- if he remembers correctly it was just perfect.

It was all just memories but they were a part of Megumi.

He also remembers the day his life changed.

He was four when the strangest man anyone could ever see would tell him that he was sold to the Zen'in clan for some good money.

That man had the whitest hair Megumi ever saw, he had blue eyes, and round sunglasses. Over all the guy looked like a creep, it weirded out Megumi.

That man told him about the choices he had. It was kind of funny that they placed a four year old in front of a life changing decision.

When he could barely even comprehend most of the things around him.

He didn't even know if this man was serious or just some kind of creep who liked to stop little kids and tell them made up stories.

Megumi had no choice but to believe him, he had to trust in a stranger. Something that he promised himself that he would never actually do but what choice did he actually have?

He chose happiness, not his. Tsumiki's, but if his sister would be happy then Megumi would be too.

She deserved it, that's the least he could have done for her.

This strange guy told him that he will handle it. That he will handle everything, Megumi just had to wait.

Waiting.

He was already good at that, right?

He has been waiting, always.

Waiting for someone to leave him again.

Waiting for their money to run out again.

Waiting for someone to actually care about him enough to stay.

Megumi waited, he was good at that.

He was patient.

So when Tsumiki got cursed and fell into some kind of coma. Megumi knew that he was gonna be waiting, again.