twenty-three | buried in my dreams

"YOU'RE CUTE WHEN YOU'RE MAD," Nejire hummed, turning towards me. Heavy rubber gloves stuck to her hands, suds and water sprayed across its surface as she held up a fragile piece of China. "I'm cute?" I questioned, laughing in between my words. The amusement in my response was more than obvious as I found it hard to stop smiling afterward.

She did too. Turning to me, she looked vastly different. Her lips were shaped into a keen smile and she looked older. Hair longer, straighter against her back, some of it pinned up in an effort to make the dishwashing easier. Still, though, a few strands hung forward, escaping the hair claw's messy hold.

Crows' feet stuck against her eyes, evidence of age and joy. She looked me up and down as if affirming her belief. "Yeah, cute. In that tired, lazy artist type of way," She stripped the gloves off and I watched her stretch her hands, gaze flitting down to her slightly ruined manicure.

Her smile morphed into a pout and it took all I had not to laugh at her expression. "You messed up the wording," I chided instead, my hands fiddling with the tablecloth behind me. My legs pushed up against the furniture, relaxing. "Did I?" Her pout disappeared, a childish glint in her eyes replacing it.

I hummed, not saying anything else. Part of me wanted to enjoy the silence and I think she could sense it. Her grin grew wider in my direction but she didn't say anything, her eyes too busy communicating with mine instead. "Ugh, you two are disgusting," A male voice cut through. A man stood not far from us.

His hands were tucked into his pockets, one brow arched with black curls pouring over his head. "What's with the stare?" I hardly noticed the intensity of my gaze, instantly leaning back as I ran my tongue over my lips. The man continued to stare back, brows now furrowed in concern. "Nothing, nothing," I shook my head dismissively.

"Kio, you made me prepare lunch for no reason," Nejire whined. My eyes shot upward in surprise as the black-haired man slumped. Kio. Kioshi? My brother looked taller, leaner. His voice held a deep tinge to it that I didn't think was possible. I then noticed the small plastic bag hanging gingerly from his fingertips. It only took two to balance its contents.

His voice was soft, eyes squinted in embarrassment. "An apology gift," He raised the plastic bag and I fought the urge to peek into it myself. Nejire rushed over, hands ripping towards its handles as she tugged it away, practically wrestling it from his grasp. "Ah, Kio," Her voice grew sharp, high-pitched as she flicked open the small styrofoam box. He smiled slightly at her expression, leaning forward. "So, you like it?" She rushed to hug him without a single word.

Kioshi laughed, his lanky arms wrapping around her figure. As soon as he let go, she rushed over to me next, grabbing my hand and dragging me over to the same box she was so ecstatic over. "Cake!" Nejire chimed like a child. It was a pretty dessert, smooth, thick white icing laid over a fluffy cake.

In thinner red lining to contrast, "happy anniversary" was messily scrawled on it.

It looked odd compared to the flawlessly decorated base and I eyed Kioshi with intrigue. "I forgot to tell them to add the wording. Anyway, cut a slice," He looked more excited than apologetic now, a big grin stretching across his lips as he slid a knife into my hands. Although I ended up not doing very much, Nejire took the reins as she dug the cutlery into the dessert herself.

She didn't waste a second plating it either, shoving the dish into my hands in the absence of a table. Swiftly taking a forkful, she pushed the cake crumbs into my mouth before using the same utensil to give herself some. "You seriously don't remember?" Kioshi's brows knitted together in annoyance, lips twisting into a sort of scowl.

Although, I could tell he wasn't really mad at me, more likely frustrated with himself that his gesture could've gone to waste. "No, not really," I said awkwardly, swallowing the mouthful. It was sugary, but not too sweet, and fluffy enough to melt in my mouth all the same despite its firm structure. "You know how your brother is," Nejire chided.

All My White Lies | bnhaOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara