thirty | which witch?

"WHAT?!" I slammed my hands onto Principal Nezu's desk, stiffening out of shock. "What do you mean Mirko rejected my application?!" He sighed, folding his paws. His beady eyes glinted in the light and he made a show of looking down at my palms and then back at my face.

"It's not just you, Y/n. Mirko has other matters to attend to. She isn't accepting anyone."

I swallowed wordlessly, loosening my grip and slumping into the seat across from him. "Other matters," I set my head in my hands, sighing deeply. "Okay, fine. What are my other options for work-study? Can I opt out entirely?" I grimaced at the idea, already knowing that Nezu was hardly going to accept the latter.

And just as I guessed, the white rat shook his head, clicking his tongue quietly. "Nope. I've also considered other pro-heroes, but seeing as you've never used your quirk around them before, they'd suggest it. Which, in your case, isn't the best idea." I could practically sense his smugness as his tail flicked back and forth.

"I can't do sentient things, but that doesn't mean I'm completely useless on that front."

"You practically are. Recovery Girl and I discussed this already and we both agreed it's better if you avoid the use of your quirk as much as possible." He suggested calmly. I rolled my tongue over my lips, wetting them as I thought over the implications of his words. Leaning back in the chair, I muttered. "Fine. Then what are my options?"

Nezu hummed, swiping through a few files that were fruitlessly laid across his desk. I only knew they were useless because of his intelligence; he wouldn't call me to his office without having a backup plan in hand for my scenarios. "The police," He opened a file, sliding it over to me.

I hardly began to read it when he closed it again, a small smirk evident on his little rodent face. "Ah, ah, ah. Can't read it yet if you haven't agreed to work under them for the time being," He tutted teasingly and I rolled my eyes, crossing my arms against my chest to keep me grounded.

I looked back at the closed file. "What's their issue? And why do they even want me?"

Nezu ran his paw against the side of the manila folder, bending its corner ever so slightly. "Well, you remember Tsuragamae, don't you?"

I scrunched my nose. "The detective dog guy? Yeah, what about him?"

"After overhearing your testimony regarding what happened, he believed you'd be the best fit for the job. You're stealthy, your quirk is versatile, and the issue they're dealing with is quite. . . specific. They believe you're the best fit for the job, if you'll have them." Nezu's tail flicked back and forth.

For a second, I was tempted to grab it just so it'd stop waving like a ticking clock, but I buried my intrusive thoughts. "I thought you said I can't use my quirk," Nezu frowned at my remarks and it bothered me to hear him talk so condescendingly. He rose from his chair (not making much of a difference) and hopped onto his desk.

"Now, I never said that—"

But you just did—I deadpanned, finger raised in the air.

"What I meant was most work studies would involve you using your quirk. This one just happens to limit its usage the most. Of course, they would settle for another student, but luckily for you, no other student has been made aware of this opportunity yet. What do you say? Don't you think it's best to do some work under the great government?"

I could tell he was just being cheeky now, practically kissing the politicians' asses despite their ears not being around for miles. "What's the actual reason?" Nezu's mouth was set into a fine line and I watched his ears twitch, almost akin to seeing one's gears start to turn.