twenty-seven | the sun is dying

THE FIRST TIME I GOT food poisoning was at Mirio's house. We were in our second year at Yuuei and it was the day of the Yuuei School Festival. I remember that day so well not only because of the terrible feeling in my stomach but also because of the lackluster expression on Nejire's face.

Her lips were pulled into a pout, shoulders slumped over as she trudged after us halfheartedly. The periwinkle-haired girl had just lost the beauty pageant to someone who—in my opinion—looked terrible compared to her. However, telling her that wouldn't comfort her much.

So, we tagged along with her, walking mindlessly and sharing awkward glances, each one saying "No, you say something". It was more between me and Mirio considering Tamaki was too anxious to even look at us. "At least the weather's nice," Mirio stuttered over his words finally.

His eyes were glued to the sun that was slowly being painted over with graying clouds. Nejire gave him a deadpan expression and he quickly shut up again, deciding his words, and effort weren't needed at the moment. The silence didn't last much longer, however, when the graying clouds became more and more apparent.

"Can we go somewhere else?"

Nejire finally spoke. Her lips were twisted into a distasteful expression and her eyes weren't on us. Even though she wouldn't say it, I could tell she was disturbed by the bumbling, glitter-covered blonde that was skipping her way toward us. She had a group of girls following after her, long eyelashes fluttering in our direction.

I grimaced, muttering. "Was that meant to be flirtatious?" Mirio didn't bother answering and Tamaki hadn't been paying attention enough to see it. Nejire shrugged instead, clearly catching on to what the girl was doing. "Oh, Y/n," A sing-song voice cut through our conversation and I glanced back.

A mistake on my part as the girl had suddenly grown closer to my face, nearly inches away from it. I quickly took a step back and nearly knocked myself into Nejire, only stopping to briefly apologize to her. "It's L/n to you, actually," I corrected, eyes flitting to her fingers. Maybe if I don't look her in the eyes, she'll get the message.

She hummed, not even caring to take my boundary to heart. "Listen, that girl has nothing compared to my splendorous beauty. How about you take a real Queen's number, hm?" I then understood why her hands were clutched together so harshly as she shoved a piece of paper into my open palm.

I glanced at it briefly, lips pursing at the sight of a series of numbers. Her number. She smiled gleefully at me and I looked at Nejire. "Do you have a pen on you?" Her face looked crestfallen and my brows furrowed, watching her bring out a blue-inked writing utensil nonetheless.

I scribbled against my wrist and held up the paper. Ink dripped in between my middle and index finger, swiftly slicing the note that she had given me. "No," This time I looked Bibimi in the eyes, turning on my heel and passing the pen back to Nejire, my fingers lingering slightly on hers.

By the time we went back to walking, my ears were hot with embarrassment and it was hard to look at Nejire without catching sight of her shit-eating grin. Even Mirio looked amused, laughing only after we left the building. "I'm surprised you managed to do that," He was impressed, brows arched.

I don't know if his assumption of my confidence was either insulting or surprising all the same. "Trust me, I already regret it. I never should've even looked her in the eyes," I mumbled into my palms, pressing my hands against my face. Tamaki pressed my shoulder comfortingly and I merely groaned in response, Mirio's laughter only growing.

"How about we go to my house? It isn't far and I'm sure my parents won't mind," Mirio offered. "Plus, there's that restaurant that we were talking about just a few days ago—" Simultaneously, we all groaned, minus the adventurous sun of course. "Mirio, seriously," Tamaki whimpered behind all of us, shaking his head.