SEVEN

CHAPTER SEVEN

CHAPTER SEVEN

The little interaction I had with Erwin faded into the background as months passed by in a breeze.

I was afraid that the day of our graduation was growing nearer. I didn't know if I was to be relieved that I would be free from such grotesque arrangement or be a little saddened that I was leaving the life I have always known behind.

My mind still inadvertently travels back towards Erwin Smith.

I wondered if his mind had changed just like Nile's. If all of a sudden, he realized his future means more to him than proving the past.

It couldn't be that farfetched.

"Smith, you're up." Our superior gestured for him to switch partners in hand-to-hand.

I feel dread climb up my throat and suffocate me as I saw Erwin stand in front of me, stretching his arms. Just my luck.

"Don't go easy on me, M/n." He flashed me a playful look before falling into a fighting stance, in which I reluctantly followed.

I waited for him to throw the first jab, in which he did. I narrowly dodged it as it faintly grazed my cheek before I ducked and swiped my legs beneath him, in which he, too, avoided by stepping widely to the side.

I recovered quickly and fell back into a fighting stance.

He then carefully repositioned before attempting to swing at me, which I had to catch safely by stopping his wrist with my forearm. And without missing a beat, I pulled him into a tackle, throwing him to my back as he rolled.

Not before grabbing ahold of my upper body and taking me down with him, taking advantage of his size.

I fell to the earthy ground with him, both of us struggling to take control of the position we were in.

He rolled us over swiftly until he hovered on top of me, pinning my hand against my chest. "Do you concede?"

I scoffed before utilizing my legs, swinging them to wrap around his torso before reversing out position. I sure as hell did not want to straddle him even in this situation- so I threw him to reposition before he can recover.

But to my utter mistake, he had fallen on his hand, soliciting a pained groan from his lips.

It was faint but I could hear it clear and loud, enough to blare the sounding alarms in my head.

I quickly dropped to the ground beside him, eyes shaped into unmasked worry and concern. I felt so incredibly bad when I saw that his hand had become a little red, as though it would leave a nasty bruise.

"Shit, I'm sorry!" I cursed and apologized profusely in which he only brushed off with a reassuring smile.

Which did not reassure me at all.