TEN

CHAPTER TEN

CHAPTER TEN

I couldn't estimate exactly just how long it had initially been since Cassy— or was it Cassidy— had left with our sticks to go and fetch someone to help me carry Flagon to safety.

I was beginning to feel the numbness around my face that was bare to the brewing coldness that surrounded us. I was pretty positive that if Flagon hadn't developed hypothermia then, he would surely gain it now.

I looked up briefly into the sky and saw its impending darkness, the darkest shade of blue I've ever seen. It was intimidating, certainly, to anticipate your own demise in the harsh winter.

I breathed heavily, feeling as though every breath felt like a sharp menthol shoved down my throat. It felt as though I was freezing my insides this way. It didn't help how my fingers began to shake and my legs began to tremble, unsure if I could hold Flagon's weight in another gruesome set of minutes.

"Flagon, if you can hear me, I think it's the right time for you to get up for a moment before I accidentally drown you in snow." I shakily managed out, taking one step forward at a time.

Originally, I had been determined to make it—solidified with the resolve that help was coming our way.

Now, it felt farther and farther away. I couldn't see anything other than the vision the night allowed me. Other than that, I saw no indication of proper light coming from any form of civilization; not the cabin, not from anywhere.

I could picture my end in this darkness with the cold biting me harshly and making my throat run parched with the cold dry air, a grown man weighing behind me like a dead weight (literally), and nothing to keep me motivated.

In this forest, I was just a man relentlessly chasing the possibility that I would soon get us out of this looming pathway filled with endless arrays of trees.

I would be lying if I said I didn't feel a twinge of terror.

I was alone (practically), and if things don't go well— I'd be carrying a corpse on my back before I become one myself. And I didn't know what would become of my conscience if I let Flagon die by grasping my own fate and low chances of survival.

I knew I had higher chances of making it if I had been completely alone, and yet, I couldn't picture myself doing anything else than what I am currently— in all honesty. I think I would rather die than come back alone knowing fully well I had let a comrade die out.

Gritting my teeth, I stumbled over my own feet, resulting in staggering forward until the snow hit my knees. I couldn't blame them for buckling over.

"Shit!" I cursed as Flagon fell to the snow beside me, face immediately getting buried in the deep snow. "No, no, no, no." I chanted on repeat as I instantly dropped beside him to claw the snow away and reach his body despite feeling as though the temperature penetrated through my soaked gloves.