SIXTEEN

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

Tomorrow came faster than I anticipated.

By the time I woke up, it was already warm outside and the room felt empty without our things loitering around as they usually would.

As soon as I got out of bed, everything felt like a rush as my peers raced to the showers to get started early. Some were already even eating in the mess hall.

I couldn't relate to such matters.

In contrast to their excitement and hastiness, I didn't feel the particular need to leave immediately. I wanted to savor it, to take my sweet time knowing fully well that the last time I would be returning to this camp that we all once recognized as our home-I would be an old estranged man, if not, a ghost.

I wasn't one to get oversentimental. I didn't shed a tear leaving our old room in Wall Rose, I didn't feel regretful to see Marie briefly scorn me for joining the Military, and I didn't weep when my pet bird suddenly got shot mid-air by an unsuspecting hunter.

But 3 years of my life had been spent here, in this very place, that I knew like the back of my hand. I had cherished memories in each and every corner and crevice, and I had a story to tell from every single room.

This was incomparable to our small room in Wall Rose where my sole company was my older sister who could barely even be found at home, or using the Military as an escapade and means to pursue a different mediocre life, or having my poor raven taken out of its misery by a vision-impaired hunter.

"You haven't touched your food." Miche pointed out as we sat in the dining hall after preparing ourselves which took about a solid hour.

Like me, Miche did tend to be punctual. Saying how, 'punctuality is the thief of the time' or some sorts. Never quite understood what it meant other than the fact it gave us an excuse to think the way we did.

"I don't feel like beans today." I muttered, poking green peas for fun as I rolled them around with the teeth of my fork.

"Have you decided on a regiment?" He asked quietly, as he always did. For a big and intimidating guy, he was quite aloof and not in any way boisterous-like how one would expect.

"Decided since the first moment I stepped foot in the Military." I informed.

"The Scouts." He completed without a doubt, and I nodded without saying anything.

There was nothing to say and I didn't want to deal with another conversation where I'm getting persuaded to think again, which never really works because I was dead set on my decision already.

"I'm joining too."

That caught my attention as my head snapped up to meet his eyes with surprise.

"You will?" My eyebrows shot up, interest piqued.