THIRTEEN

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

Our little stay in the middle of nowhere was (fortunately) cut short due to the rush for graduation—something about wanting to tackle everything before letting us go.

I was relieved either way.

I was expertly avoiding Erwin for the past few days; always rounding a corner when I see him going the same route, falling into a half-witted conversation with Carly (yes, I know her name now) or Miche or anyone present near me, and now locking our room door to avoid the same incident that happened the other night.

I wasn't kidding when I said I was a coward.

I was practically running away instead of confronting him about it. But it didn't help when he was so persistent.

I like to pretend and say it was easy to avoid him, but no. It actually wasn't. It took everything in my self-control to stop myself from running to him and telling him everything that was written in me.

I was determined to pursue the original plan and stop improvising. No more selfishness, I had promised.

And a part of me found it hard to believe he could ever love me as genuinely as he claimed. I knew a lot of people in my lifetime, I knew that they tend to never last.

It's not self-loathing when I say I was boring, it was self-awareness. I knew I had nothing to offer. I wasn't an otherworldly beau, I wasn't funny and entertaining, I wasn't a contender for a long-term future—not when I tend to bore people out if we spend time together long enough.

Erwin would be stuck with me: someone who could never offer him anything great.

He would grow to be tired of me, he would hate me. And then he would regret it—God, he would regret it! I was certain of it. He would see me for who I really am; a liar, a manipulative writer, a bore.

This was no good.

No good. No good. No good.

"I think I've decided." Marie told me one evening after getting back from the trip.

I sat patiently on her floor and against the bed, fidgeting with my hands as my head was still stuck in previous events.

"Decided on what?" I indulged her.

And nothing could have prepared me for what she had to say next.

"I think. . . I think I may love Erwin."