TWELVE

CHAPTER TWELVE

CHAPTER TWELVE

The next few days had not been as hectic as the first.

Flagon has woken up on his 2nd day and was too shaken to speak, our assigned superior had said to give him some time to cool down since it was hard to recover from nearly getting frozen alive when you're in a frozen environment.

I agreed wholeheartedly and was relieved I didn't feel as icy as I did in the incident.

Yes, I still sneeze and shiver sometimes—but I would call it an improvement in comparison to the agony I had felt within the woods.

I was positive to say that Erwin and I were spending more time together. True to his words, we hadn't spoken a word about Marie or other people. It was as though we were back to square one, learning more and more about one another as time passes.

Nile was burying himself with writing letters. Surprisingly, he no longer begged for ideas. He had begun to grow more secretive, giving me the impression that the content of his love letters were becoming more private.

Meanwhile, I hadn't seen Erwin pick up a quill during the duration of our stay so far. It made me wonder if he even had any intentions to write to Marie in the whole week we would be here.

It was none of my business though, and it's not like I could write any either.

"Lights out." Miche told us as he passed by to get to his room, and I nodded before sending a small smile towards him which he reciprocated.

"Night!" I bid, hearing a faint 'good night' in return as I walked towards my room which was shared with 3 other people.

Above me was Nile, as usual, passed out already as he has always found it easy to sleep in the cold.

On the other bunk bed, I could distinctly recall the other guy's name. He just has an enlarged mole on his nose and likes to repeat the phrase 'time is gold'. Didn't really know him but he's taking the bed above Flagon who's still recuperating with his eyes closed semi-permanently.

It took about 2 hours into my book for me to realize they were fast asleep, bundled and curled under a thick blanket that I thought could barely defend us from the freezing air of the night.

I sat up as soon as I saw the door creak open and Erwin's head emerge, searching for my eyes before significantly lighting up.

"Is Nile asleep?" He whispered from the distance, making me nod in response and point above me. I could tell even from my blind spot below that he was sprawled across the bed since his arm was dangling by the edge.

"Like a log." I retorted.

We heard a series of footsteps down the hall which alerted our senses, sharing an alarmed look.

"Whoever's sneaking off around awake, I'll make you do a hundred squats outside early in the morning!" I heard the gruff voice of our superior as it neared to the room.