16: And The Crossing

(Hours Earlier)

*DING-DONG*

"ON MY WAY." Answered Masaru to the ringing of the house doorbell, putting his mug of coffee down onto the kitchen counter before heading over. His slippers shuffled and faintly echoed off the barren walls of his home, his throat clearing and hands rubbing over his legs as he approached the front door. Twisting both lock and knob the man opened the door to reveal Mitsuki standing outside with purse over her right shoulder and an uneasy smile on her face, the former husband's eyes perking open slightly at the unexpected guest. "Oh, Mitsuki. Hey."

"Hey." The woman greeted. "I uh, I'm sorry I-I should've called or texted you ahead of time I-I'm just, all mixed up right now."

"No you're fine I mean, not like there's much else for me to be occupied with so it's no worries. You um, you okay? You look, drained."

"Not much sleep last night, if at all from what I remember. U-Uh, look there's, there's something I'd like to speak with you about if you have the time. It's....weird."

"Uh sure then, come right in."

Mitsuki entered her former home and removed the purple flats from her feet, gravitating towards the kitchen as Masaru shut the door and locked it. The purse from her shoulder was slipped off and placed on the counter for the time being, her nails awkwardly fidgeting with each other while the man walked past her and returned to where he had set his mug down. Taking a quick glance at her, whatever it was must be quite the heavy topic to shift somebody such as Mitsuki into a nervous state like this. "Do you want coffee?"

"No, no thank you." She denied. "I won't be here for long just, need to get this weirdness off my chest is all."

"I'm, not sure if I'm ready for whatever it is that you brought through the door. If it's something that's enough to make my former wife fidget on her feet, a pre-emptive warning could have been nice."

The two shared an awkward and very short chuckle before silence reigned control again, Mitsuki's left fingers brushing the hair behind her same side ear. She gulped and steadied herself as much as she could before finally moving on with what was needed to be said. "Masaru I....I just want you to be, honest, and open with me here. No, no nonsense no, no half-hearted truths no uncertain answers just complete, straight to the point, honesty with me."

Masaru gulped. "Uh, y-yeah. I'll be honest with you, Mitsuki. I always will. What, what is it?"

"Do you...do you still love me romantically wise?"

"...I..."

"Masaru."

"I....There's, there's a little part of me on the inside that would..like to. Like, kinda go back on the way things were and how we used to be. But, I know that little part of me is something that I need to part ways with otherwise be living out dumb dreams with silly hopes and aspirations. What you and I had was special to me and, it always will be. And I'm glad for having had the opportunity to share something special with the kind of woman that you are. But, I know the moment between you and I has passed now, and it's time for me to move on. Move on and, accept the fact that you and I are going to find different people."

"So, were there a day where both of us were asked if we had an issue with the other finding a partner, you'd be fine with that?"

Masaru tapped his fingers against the sides of his coffee mug before nodding. "Yeah. Yeah I'd, I'd be fine with that. I mean, I'd pretty much have to be."

Mitsuki pursed her lips inwards as she too nodded and looked down to her fingers. "'Kay..."

"I uh, I'm gonna assume said day is...close?"