Chapter Three

He'd been as surprised as Kennedy to be ordered along as protection and just as frustrated. Irritated might be a better word to describe his feelings. As the eldest Finn was in line to take over for his father. A man being trained to be the head of the Irish Mob in Boston. Knowing his father this was just another weird piece of that training. Still he didn't understand what he was supposed to learn from babysitting.

Given the short notice he'd gotten Finn had spent the drive shuffling his calendar. Another irritation, as he'd had plans for this evening with a delectable little lass with excellent relaxation skills. He'd also made a call to his cousin in Chicago in hopes of getting a better idea of the women he was protecting. Kennedy Cole was one of those people who was built like a bank vault. Made up of layers of this protection to keep the world out. Quincy had laughed before hanging up on him.

Only as they'd pulled in did Finn realize he had no clue where he was going to be staying during this task. One look at what use to be a motel had him thinking that Kennedy's trailer looked like a grand idea. Things didn't improve much as he'd gotten his first look at the bar. Maybe that's how she'd caught him off guard. But if Kennedy was looking to make an impression, she'd defiantly done it. Now all he could do was back up her play and hope no one got shot.

"How long has your cousin been supplying the bar with its booze? Did Luther know?" Kennedy questioned the older women seated across from her. The question had Finn reaching for the folder as the clubs V.P. growled for someone to make coffee. Flipping the folder open, it contained only one receipt. One case of wine supplied by the Russian's.

" might as well take a seat gentlemen. Seems Colly here is in bed with the Russian's. And if I'm catching on correctly sent over a death welcome for your new landlord" Finn offered to the three men who'd remained back near the bar.

As they took seats at the bar a young guy

appeared like a freaking genie with a cup on coffee then just as quickly disappeared. Meanwhile Cian came and took the file while Aidan moved to stand behind Colly.

" This will go better for you if you talk now." Finn offered making his voice gentle and understanding. The whole time imagining lifting the glass of wine to her lips. Either way this panned out the women would be drinking it.

" Luther didn't know. The man's book keeping was a nightmare. And Hoss is right, I gave Luther a son. Did me no good. Luther loved him, doted on my son. Then left everything to his previous daughter." She hissed out crossing her arms on the table and glaring at Kennedy. " Found his will almost ten years ago and decided I'd need to look after my own interests. Long game my cousin Lev called it. And when Luther died he sent the case and said it would take care of a couple issues." Colly now spoke as is she gave zero fucks. As if learning who her cousin was would save her here. Which told Finn that she had no clue that she'd been set up as the fall guy.

" Do you know who she is? Who I am? Did you never question why your cousin would be so giving with little return." Finn questioned before anyone else could process what she said. " Now seems like the perfect time for those introductions. My names Finn, I'm the eldest son of Sean Mulligan. The two lads with me are my cousins Cian and Aidan. And the lass you planned to kill is the adopted daughter of Brian Mulligan. He heads the Irish Mob in Chicago" Finn explained and watched the arrogance drain with the colour from her face as she caught on to her fuck up. Then his hard gaze moved to the men in the room who looked ill at ease as well now.

" I didn't know, please..." Colly begged "my son" she then whimpered

" Can someone lock her up somewhere till we can decide what to do. Take the glass too. It can be her choice if she drinks or not" Kennedy stated getting up and heading for the door. But just before she reached it she stopped and turned back. " I will never hold it against River that he is or was your son. But I also won't lie to him. He's my brother and will be protected" she offered then was gone.

Sharing a look with Aidan he followed while a beast of a man moved away from the bar to collect the women. A younger guy grabbed the glass and followed the two out the back.

" This is a club decision" the clubs president began to say but was cut off by his V.P before Finn could tell him to get fucked .

" The only piece that's club business is how we missed this happening in our own back yard. Happened in her bar and was against her." He shot back then turned to him. " I'll go give the lad a heads up. Colly had little to do with the kid. We'll take care of him no matter how this plays out" he offered then drained his coffee.

To Finn's amusement the kid shazamed back in with a fresh cup before disappearing again. And he finally connected that he was probably a prospect. He really needed to look into a similar vetting program for the mob. Builds character and all that.

Finn simply offered him a nod then headed out with Cian who was already reporting to one of their parents on the situation. Wouldn't surprise him if one or more appeared in the next couple hours. Because no matter how old they got, in the end they were still kids to their parents, aunts and uncles.

"Tell whoever's coming to bring us a trailer. Otherwise we'll be sleeping in the cars." He called out before rounding the building to find out where the lass had got too. So far maybe this wouldn't be like babysitting. He also made a note to find out how many weapons she had and how many were legal.

    Jumping in her truck Kenny busied herself setting up the trailer around back.  Something, anything to get her mind on something else.  Get her brain to stop it's spin so she could begin putting each new issue into mental boxes.  Like brain storage.  Put away and easier to handle one issue at a time. 

    For years she'd seen a shrink.  Because Kennedy knew that childhood baggage was a weakness.  And in her world they could be used against you.  And for the most part the doc had done pretty good work helping Kenny find tools.  But River was still a kid and couldn't be put in one if those handy little boxes.  Her brother she mentally tested the feel of the though as she hooked up electrical to the trailer. 

     "She's a bit of a dump" Aidan finally spoke from the place he'd claimed on a picnic table. 

      " The bar or the women?" Kenny shot back the question as she pulled folding chairs out of a storage compartment and sat down. 

      " Both but I was commenting on the bar.  A match would probably be the best idea."  He offered but with a little smirk. 

      Meeting his solid gaze Kenny knew he was simply trying to make conversation.  She also knew that any of them could have easily run a background in her.   " Today I walked into by biological fathers bar.  Near got taken out by the Russians and found out I have a kid brother.  A brother who is about to be an orphan because of his parents choices." She spewed having done a bang up job it seems of getting her shit together.  But fuck she was mad for her brother. 

     As a kid she have given anything for a sibling.  Sister or brother didn't matter.  Just someone for those days alone locked in a house when Candy disappears.  To hide in the closet with her when one of her mothers dealers came looking for her as payment.  And who could have walked up to each of those foster home front doors.  Hand in hand they'd have faced it all together.  But she was also glad it had never been and she'd been the only one to suffer and hurt. 

     " The lad got a shit deal just like ye did.  But he has family in the club here.  People he was raised around and care for him.  And he'll have ye too, and is as well.  The kid doesn't know it yet but he's a lucky wee bastard." Aidan broke into her dark thoughts.  But he spoke the truth and they settled in her chest. 

     "The bar has history.  So no matches.  But defiantly disinfectant." She shot back with a smirk. 

A/N

Sorry for the delay.  Will probably post again this weekend to catch up.  January turned out to be busier than planned.  And I needed to be the reader and not the writer last weekend off.