Chapter Eight

" Hey kid, shouldn't you be at school?" Hoss questioned River as he came down to the main room around noon. He'd been up late going over the clubs accounts and trying to convince Heckler to get his ass home. Both tasks had been equally maddening.  Seeing River now was just a reminder that they needed to come up with a plan for Colly.  Or just hand her over to the Irish to deal with. 

     It took him a minute to realize that he hadn't got an answer to his question.  Odder was the look the kid was shooting him.  It was the your fucking kidding me look.  What the fuck else had he missed here to warrant it.  True he wasn't mister responsible on the best of days but he was a biker for Christ sake.    Sure he was V.P but that was club business.  Once again he cursed Heck for beating tail when shit was getting real. 

     " Who drove me to school?" The kid questioned throwing him a bone and instantly Hoss silently cursed.  Luther had been the one to drive his son in daily to school.  When the old man died the prospects had kept it up for a couple weeks.  But he didn't have a clue when that stopped.  Now fully aware that he might now be responsible for a kid he saw other things.  Like the fact that the kids pants road a little to high in his legs and hair that needed a cut. 

      " Sorry little man.  Guess we dropped the ball." He began to apologize but River cut him off by standing up and turning to leave. 

     " Kenny wants me.   Not a fan of the rules or child labour she talked about.  But she's staked her claim and I'm going to be okay with that." He stated sounding to mature for his young years.  " She asked to meet you guys by the way" he added then left without another word.  His lunch left forgotten in the table he'd been sitting at. 

    " Well aren't we a bunch of assholes" Bais's deep voice muttered from behind the small clubhouse bar. 
The look on his face basically showing what Hoss was feeling. 

     " I'm calling church for Friday.  It'll give the members five days to get their asses home.  It'll be listed as a mandatory meeting.  Any member who didn't leave for business and doesn't show sees no payday this month. Heck included." He decided in that moment though not really sure if there was much else he could do. Or much of a club to try and save.  " Round up Cuff and Alfie.  We have a landlord to meet and Irish to deal with.  Colly needs to be dealt with" he ordered them headed out for a smoke.

Four bikers enter a bar....
     Five Irish enter after them...

Kenny watched them come through the front, all freezing as they took in the mess. Old Murph had come in earlier to in his words get her on track and things in order.  He'd also set up work tents out front then proceeded to move the bar into one.  The other held the freshly painted bases of all fifteen tables.  He'd explained patiently that you couldn't be painting while also sanding in the same space.  Which after explaining made perfect sense. 

    Sidetracked Kenny clicked back in and put down her roller.  She'd been priming the walls.  Another of Murphys hints.  The man was a fountain of knowledge which was why he was now her forman. 

     " Let's do this outside" she told them looking around at hers and Lacy's mess.  Okay mostly her mess. 

     Headed out through the kitchen she felt them all silently following.  Kenny nearly gaped at what she saw when she got outside.  With Murphy meeting all the contractors she hadn't left the bar yet today.  Meaning she'd missed the trailer park being set up in her backyard surrounding her own. 

     " Okay" she murmured and breathed through her initial irritation.  The men began gathering lawn chairs and setting them up in a circle.  Grabbing her own from her trailer Kenny returned and took a seat.    Her eyes settling on the bikers first.  "So our first meeting was a shit show, sorry bout that.  But I'm Kennedy Cole, Luther's abandoned kid from Chicago.  And you are?" She questioned getting straight into it. 

     The guy who sat forward wasn't the largest of them.  He wasn't even the scariest looking.  Kenny met blue eyes that stood out because the rest of him was dark features.  The patch on his cut announcing he was the Vice President of the club.  And after a quick scan if the other three she realized the Pres was not among them.  She was pretty sure he'd been present when she arrived. 

    " My names Hoss" he introduced then went down the line introducing Bais, Cuff and Alfie, all of them nodding when their name was given. 

    " I notice Heckler your president is absent.  Also that the majority of your club lit out of her a couple days ago." She stated not really as a question " While most of you won't agree I intend to ship Colly to her cousin alive.  That's for River.  It isn't up for debate." She told them but also looked to Finn and Hugo who clearly weren't happy about it either.  " I've also contacted a lawyer to have me legally placed as River's guardian." She began then simply continued on detailing the plans Old Murphy helped her set in motion today. 

     Two separate crews would start next week.  One working on the club addition and the second working on the motel/apartments and restaurant.  Kenny hoped to have both done by summers end.  There was only one touchy subject she really had to address and held it back till the end. 

    "I intent to make the River of Styx neutral ground." She finally put it out there before sitting back to watch how it was received.  While none of them looked happy it was their Sargent at arms who spoke up. 

    " This is Dark Angel territory.  It can't be neutral" he ground out

     " It may be your club territory but it is my land, not the clubs.  Territory that also sits right beside Mulligan territory.  They have ties to the Blood Wolves MC.  A club that will be welcome on my property.  As will anyone else I vet for my club or who pass through and want to peacefully enjoy at drink or meal at the bar or restaurant" Kenny stated leaving little room for misunderstanding on this.  This club was weak and hadn't proven itself to even be much of one. 

     " The Mulligan was prepared to let you run this territory when Kennedy first arrived.  But your own presidents actions don't look good.  He considers the clubs disappearing act as a breech of his agreement with the club" Finn chimed in when Hoss was about to argue. 

     " This is also your warning that the Blood Wolves will be checking in as a favour to the Mulligan's.  and should matters accelerate with the Russians, will come to help." Hugo added catching Kenny off guard . 

     " I want a meeting with Sean" she shot out knowing there had to be more to this.  Kenny wasn't about to let even the Mulligan's pull shit off behind her back. 

     " He figured as much and will be here tomorrow" Hugo answered simply then turned back to the members of the Dark Angels.  " I don't know what the situation is with your club.  The Blood Wolves aren't coming in guns blazing.  But be warned that should the club be deemed weak they are prepared to force a patch over.  Or you are more than welcome to find new territory and the Mulligans will compensate you for the clubhouse building" Hugo finished then waited for Finn to jump in.  Unfortunately Finn was looking just as pissed as the bikers.  Kenny could only guess that Finn hadn't been in the know on what Hugo just announced. 

     " Have you talked to River about your plans?" Alfie came out of know where with the questioned and Kenny figured it was to diffuse the situation. 

     " That we have each others backs now, yes.  That I intend to look after him, yes.  But the living situation is still up in the air." She answered then added " Listen, your part of River's family and I don't want this to explode on him.  But I also want him safe and right now my trust in your club is shaky. Get your house in order.  But as of now my business properties are neutral ground." She offered then got up and headed back inside.  She had a bar to get open and a home made.  That's all that mattered.  Sean Mulligan and the Blood Wolves were a tomorrow problem.