October 29th, 2019

I was sitting on my bed when the phone started ringing. I put down the bag of chips I had and reached for my phone. I pressed the green button.

"Hello?" I asked.

"Hello Birdella." A male voice answered.

My blood ran cold.

"Mr. Tillman? To what do I owe the pleasure?" I ask, trying to stay calm.

"I need you to help my son." He tells me.

"Gator? What did he do this time?" I ask.

"Never you mind that, just be at the ranch tomorrow." He says, sternly.

"Uh okay, I'll drive in tonight." I say.

"Good." He says and hangs up.

I exhale sharply after the phone hangs up. I'm shaking and I can't breathe very well. I haven't gotten a call from Roy Tillman for about 4 years. I thought he didn't need me anymore. I moved out of North Dakota so he would stop getting me to do his dirty work. I worked for him from ages 16-19 and then on and off until about 4 years ago when I guess he decided it was too much of a hassle to get me back in town. I sold drugs and weapons to stay out of jail- ironic, I know. But I was doing it anyways because my foster parents decided they didn't want me anymore and I had to afford a place somehow.

I remember the conversation like it was yesterday. I was sat in the Stark County Sheriff's Department interrogation room, fiddling with my fingers nervously when a tall man walked in.

"So... you're the girl that's been causing my county so much trouble?" He asked.

"I'm sorry." I said.

"Don't be, you've got skill, kid."

"What?" I asked, confused.

"I want you to come work for me. Do everything you've been doing, just with a higher salary." He said.

I paused.

"Or you can go to jail." He said.

"Okay, I'm in." I said.

"Great, you start Monday." He said.

And now, 9 years later, I'm still working for him- not exclusively anymore, so that's something. I've managed to move out of his inner circle I think. His son didn't though. I always wished he had. I hung out with him a lot, before I moved away but I just couldn't stay.

I stopped reminiscing and got up, starting to pack my things. I was done in about an hour, I wasn't planning on staying too long. I got in the car, filled up the gas, and started the journey.