Year One: Day One

2nd September, 1991

When the alarm first went off at 7am, Violet wanted to throw the thing against a wall. She hadn't noticed the alarms the night before, so one of the other girls had to of set one. She certainly didn't want to leave her warm and cosy bed, but she could hear the other girls already moving about.

She drew the curtains open and sat on the edge of the bed, watching all three of her roommates move around. Hannah was still in her pyjamas, pulling out a clean outfit from her trunk. The two other girls were taking turns in the bathroom. The first girl, who was brushing her teeth, had golden tan skin and straight blonde hair that fell to her waist. The other girl, who was trying to fix her tie into a proper knot, had deep brown skin and nearly black hair in tight, long braids. 

Violet pulled out her own outfit for the day, crawling back into her bed and closing the curtains to change. When she was done, she moved towards the now vacant bathroom.

"Morning!" The blonde chirped, her high-pitched voice shocking Violet, who spun around to see the girl leaning against the dorm entrance, "You're Violet, right? Hannah and Aimee already went down for breakfast. I'm Caroline Dodd, it's nice to meet you!" 

The girl was very chipper for it being so early, Violet couldn't help but feed off of her energy, "Hi! Nice to meet you too! I'll be just a moment, then we can walk down together?"

"Sure!" Caroline smiled widely, showing all her teeth.

Violet quickly finished getting ready for the day before followed after Caroline, her heavy book bag slung across her back. 

Breakfast was just as exciting as dinner the night before. There were platters upon platters of food, including several types of eggs, fruit, sausage, cereal, kippers, bacon, fresh squeezed juice, toast with varying options of jam and marmalade, and more. 

The Great Hall was also louder than the night before, all the new and returning students catching up and introducing themselves. 

Violet listened quietly while the people around her talked. Aside from her three roommates, there was Cedric Diggory, a third-year who was a tall, well-built boy with short dark hair and bright green eyes, which rivalled Violet's own. He was the seeker on the Hufflepuff quidditch team; a popular school sport, Violet learned. And then there was Anthony Rickett, a fairly average boy with black hair, and Tamsin Applebee, a fairly average girl with blonde hair. The two were a couple, apparently, and both were third-years on the quidditch team.

"So, Violet, how are you finding Hogwarts so far?" Cedric asked, his gaze mesmerising as his eyes were practically glowing. 

"Oh, um," She laughed awkwardly, swallowing a mouthful of toast, "It's alright. Everyone so far has been nice, though I'm pretty sure I'm going to get lost on the way to my classes, this place is huge..."

Everyone around her laughed, Cedric nodding emphatically, "Don't worry, we've all gotten lost before. It gets easier with time. Most professors are lenient with first-years for the first few weeks when it comes to getting to lessons on time."

"Except for Snape," Anthony added, "He's a right arse. He teaches potions. Whatever you do, don't get his attention on you."

"Which one is Snape?" Aimee asked, glancing at the staff table.

"The one that looks like he hasn't showered in a month." Tamsin chuckled. In unison, the three first-years turned to observe the man.

Tamsin wasn't far off in her brief description, Violet saw. He was a lanky man, with shoulder length black hair that was so greasy it appeared to be shining, even from her seat halfway down the hall. He was glaring at anything and everything he looked at, from his plate to the people around him.