Year One: The Welcome Feast

Hogwarts was magical. Not just in the sense of using magic, but that it was truly astonishing.

After departing the train, a fairly large man was calling out for first-years to follow him. Trailing behind Harry and Ron, Violet had to tip her head back just to look at the man. His hair and beard were so long they practically covered the man's entire head and face. He had to be well over eight and a half metres, but as he and Harry chatted for a moment, he seemed kind enough.

Hagrid, as Violet learned, led all the first-years down to a boat dock, loading four to five kids in each boat. As Hagrid settled into a boat with Harry, Ron, and Violet, all of the boats started to move slowly across the lake.

'Of course magic controls the boats', Violet laughed in awe. She continued to be surprised as she stared out of the lake and up at Hogwarts. There, on a large island, sat a massive castle. An honest to goodness castle, lit by, what she could only assume, were candles and torches.

As they approached the boat dock on the island, Violet looked over at her new friends. Harry stared in would could only be described as reluctant awe, as if he weren't convinced it was all real. While Ron was openly in awe, eyes wide and mouth gaping. Violet felt better about her own awestruck expression as she saw that most of the kids wore similar ones.

Once inside the castle, all of the first-years were led to a back staircase, wide enough to fit five to six kids side by side. They walked up several flights before reaching the landing, an older woman standing on the top step. She wore long, dark green robes, a black pointed hat, and a stern expression. Violet realised this must be the professor who had sent her acceptance letter, McGonagall.

The trio stopped at the top of the stairs, Hermione pushing through a few others to join them at the front.

"Welcome to Hogwarts! Now, in a few moments you will pass through these doors, and join your classmates. But before you can take your seats, you must be sorted into your houses. They are Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin."

Harry and Violet shared a look of confusion before looking at Ron, who looked concerned.

"While you are here, your house will be like your family. Your triumphs will earn you points. Any rule breaking and you will lose points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the house cup."

"Trevor!" Violet jumped as a boy shoved past her, leaning down to scoop up a toad from the top step. He froze for a moment as he stared up at the professor, then rushed back into the crowd. Neville, Violet surmised.

"The sorting ceremony will begin momentarily." She turned and walked off, closing the big twin doors behind her.

"It's true then!" Violet and her friends turned around, staring at the boy with white-blonde hair and a snarky expression, "What they're saying on the train. Harry Potter has come to Hogwarts."

At this, the entire group of kids broke out in gasps and whispers. Violet looked at Harry, wondering what made him so special to elicit such a response. It's the second time someone's made a fuss when speaking his name, but he had yet to explain why.

"This is Crabbe, and Goyle." The blonde tilted his head towards the two boys beside him, both of whom looked intimidating. Bullies, if Violet had to hazard a guess. "And I'm Malfoy. Draco Malfoy."

Draco moved to stand on the top step, looming over everyone else. He head whipped towards Ron, who was snickering, "Think my name's funny, do you? No need to ask yours. Red hair, and a hand-me-down robe. You must be a Weasley."

Ron looked down shamefully, and Violet had the sudden urge to smack Draco. Something, she would find in coming years, to be a frequent feeling.

Draco turned back to Harry, "You'll soon find out that some wizarding families are better than others, Potter. You don't want to go making friends with the wrong sort. I can help you there."