Year Two: Introduction to Tutoring

6th November, 1992, Friday

When Violet arrived at the Hogwarts library at four that evening, she was regretting the time she'd chosen for the tutoring sessions. She'd had Astronomy the night before, and Defense Against the Dark Arts at nine that morning. She had the rest of the day free, but she was in desperate need of a nap.

She'd had to visit Madam Pomfrey the previous evening when her exhaustion and headache had gotten unbearable. The healer provided a tonic that worked almost instantly, citing the girl was simply overworking herself. Violet had several free periods throughout the week, but she'd taken to studying more during those times rather than relaxing, like some of her fellow students. After her visit with the healer, though, she decided she'd allow herself more free time after the winter holiday.

Upon arriving at the library, she wasn't surprised to find most of the tables were filled. It was coming up on the end of term, which meant most students would be preparing for end of term exams. Though, it seemed quite a few of the students were packing up to leave. Violet couldn't help but feel relieved; she wanted to find a quiet, hidden table, so as to not have others watching or starting rumours when she was with Draco.

She paused part way to the back of the Library, spotting a familiar trio.

"Hey, Hermione! Harry, Ron."

Hermione slammed the book in her hand closed, her eyes widening at the sight of Violet, "Oh, hi, Violet."

Both boys stared at her mutely. Violet felt suspicious at the way they were acting. Hermione was never one to hide how smart she was, or how much more she knew about magic than the others, so why try to hide whatever they were looking at in the book?

"Everything alright?" She asked.

"Oh, fine. We were just talking about..." Hermione trailed off, looking to the boys for help.

"The Heir of Slytherin." Harry supplied.

"Not you too," Violet sighed, "It's all anyone can talk about."

Ron rolled his eyes, "Well, yeah! It's sort of a big deal."

"I know that!" She argued.

"Of course," Hermione stepped towards Violet, "We're all just worried, you know? I mean, who knows who it is, or what they're going to do next..."

"Oi! We all know who it is, Hermione." Harry shook his head, "It's Malfoy, it has to be."

Ron and Hermione nodded, looking for Violet expectantly.

She tried to keep her voice level, but couldn't help the pang of defensiveness she felt, "But what if it's not?"

"'What if it's not'?" Ron mocked, "Who else could it be?!"

"I don't know!" Her voice ticked up, "I just don't believe it's him."

"It makes sense for it to be Draco Malfoy, Violet." Hermione raised her hands in a defensive manner.

"Just because he's done bad things doesn't mean he's some evil Heir!" Violet had no idea why she was even defending him. He'd never been nice to her, much less given her any reason to believe he wasn't the Heir.

"Why are you defending him?" Harry questioned, reflecting her own thoughts.

Violet simply shrugged. She didn't have a good answer.

"I just think that Draco isn't as bad as everyone believes. Anyway, I have to go. Bye." She walked off without hearing the trio's responses.

When she got to the back of the library, she found Draco already sitting at a table in a secluded corner. There were bookshelves surrounding it, so no curious eyes would see them.