Year Two: Secret Admirer

Violet had two choices: die a painful, humiliating death, or deal with the Cupid that was staring her down across the hallway.

She was standing at the top of the stairs, heading towards the library at the other end of the hall. There were students behind her and in front of her, all watching her stare at the Cupid, who was slowly making his way towards her. She knew it was for her because he had shouted her name several times to catch her attention.

She couldn't believe it. It was a prank, right? Aimee, or maybe Hannah? Who else would do this to her?

She wanted to find the humour in it. She wanted to find it sweet. But she was mortified, because she'd spent all day watching the cupids tackle, scream, and sing out of tune. So there was no possible way this would be pleasant.

So, back to her options. Tumble down the stairs behind her and die a painful, humiliating death, or stay and embrace the horror that was coming.

Violet's entire body was hot. She knew her face was as red as the Gryffindor emblem, and that there was no way her fellow students would let her live this down. In the end, she decided that facing it head on was the best choice.

She refused to move a metre as the Cupid stopped in front of her, his withering gaze a stark contrast to the wings and harp he carried.

He cleared his throat, rather loudly, and began,

"With eyes as green as sage,
And a name as soft as the flower,
A heart so kind and loyal,
With a smile that empowers,
There's no doubt that you're
the one I admire"

Violet changed her mind. Falling down the stairs would've been a kinder way to die. Instead, she had to listen to the students around her giggling and laughing, making jokes about the poem.

"Woah, that was... something." Hannah's voice pulled Violet out of her mental breakdown.

"Ha-ha." Violet glared at the other girl, "Very funny. Was it you?"

Hannah genuinely looked hurt by the accusation, "No! Why would you think it was me?"

Violet rolled her eyes, "Who else would send me a Cupid?"

Hannah stared at Violet for a very long moment, "You're kidding, right?"

Okay, now Violet would throw herself down the stairs. She looked around the hall, most students having departed, except for a few that were watching her from an alcove. A few of the Slytherins from earlier, she realised.

She took off towards them, pulling her wand out as she started to shout, "Think you're funny, do you?!"

The Slytherins ran in the other direction, laughing hysterically. Violet pulled to a stop in front of the library doors, huffing as she shoved her wand back in her robes.

"What'd you plan to do with that?" Draco's voice caught her attention as she crossed her arms.

"I don't know, maybe throw it at them?" She expected a chuckle, but Draco only shook his head and turned, walking into the library. She frowned, following after him. He wouldn't look at her, even after they'd been sitting in silence for several minutes. She couldn't get a read on him, on whether he was angry, upset, or just being moody.

"What's wrong?" She finally asked.

"Nothing." He answered quickly. Violet rolled her eyes. She turned fully in her seat to face him, wanting to reach out and grab his face so he'd look at her, but she knew better than to try. Instead, she waited.

After another five minutes, she couldn't take the silence anymore, so she started thinking aloud, "You were fine earlier. Did something happen since lunch?" He shook his head no, "Okay, then what- Oh, don't tell me it was the cupid." The way he tensed up told her she was on the right path, "The cupid is what's upset you? I'm sure someone only sent him as a prank, Draco."