Year Two: Another Attack

8th May, 1993

Violet was vibrating with excitement, as were most of the Hufflepuff students.

It was time for the Hufflepuff versus Gryffindor game, and the excitement and tensions were palpable. Both teams had played one game so far; Gryffindor won against Slytherin with almost one hundred and fifty points to their sixty. Hufflepuff had lost against Ravenclaw, seventy to two hundred.

Gryffindor and Hufflepuff matches were usually entertaining, as both teams practised hard and studied up on the other players. Though there wasn't as much violence as there was during Slytherin matches, the Hufflepuff players had been known to play a bit dirty, not that Gryffindor played clean.

It was a chilly Saturday morning, so most students still wore their heavy cloaks and hats, but with so many people sat together in the stands, it was easy enough to warm up.

The crowd had been cheering and chanting for some time, waiting for the match to begin. But as time went on, many lost their enthusiasm and began to grow nervous.

Violet leaned towards Aimee and Hannah, "The match should've started ten minutes ago."

"Something must be wrong." Hannah replied. Before she'd even finished, Madam Hooch was on the field, using an amplifying charm so that every person could hear her.

"Attention students, this match has been cancelled. Please calmly return to your houses."

There was nothing calm about the panic that followed. Students began rushing out of the stands, shoving and shouting as they went. Violet, Hannah, and Aimee linked arms so as to not lose each other.

When they made it out of the stands and off the pitch, Violet and Aimee had to turn their focus on Hannah, who had begun to panic and lag behind.

"I'm sure it's nothing," Aimee tried to reason, "If it were serious, they'd tell us."

"Would they?!" Hannah was shouting. Violet didn't think Hannah realised it, though. Neither Violet or Aimee answered, because no, they wouldn't.

"Maybe there's a storm coming?" Violet tried, despite the sunny sky and the fact that several matches had been played in storms before.

Hannah shook her head violently, "No way."

Violet and Aimee were practically dragging Hannah by the time they got inside the castle. They moved to the side, out of the way of the onslaught of rushing students. They leaned against a wall, watching as Hannah slid down and pulled her legs to her chest. The other two girls weren't sure what to do or how they could calm their friend down.

They sat quietly for a while, until only a few students were trickling in, not swept up in the panic of the rest. Of those students, Violet recognised one, smiling softly at the blond as he spotted her. He frowned when he looked down at Hannah, hesitating a moment before walking up to the trio.

"Alright there, Abbott?"

"Sod off, Malfoy." Hannah replied, her head still buried in her arms.

He had the decency to pretend to be offended. He turned his attention to Violet, "What's wrong with her?"

Violet shrugged at his casual tone, "What's wrong with you?"

He chuckled, "A great many things, I suspect."

"Hmph," Aimee scoffed, "Yes, I'm sure it's a long list."

Draco only smirked, looking back to Violet, "Anything I can do?"

"Not unless you've got a draught or spell to ease a panic attack." Violet murmured.

Draco stared at her for a long moment, his easy demeanour shifting to guarded once more. Violet wasn't sure what she'd said to upset him, but the next moment, he was gone.

"Helpful, that one." Aimee rolled her eyes, sitting next to Hannah, who had gone from violently trembling to occasionally shuddering. She was still breathing heavily and her skin was coated in a thin layer of sweat. Aimee tried to wrap her arms around their friend, but pulled away when Hannah began shaking her head.

Violet sat on the other side of Hannah, her concern growing the longer her panic attack went on. She had known Hannah was prone to panic attacks, but had never witnessed one before. Hannah had told her friends previously that she was usually able to ground herself with breathing techniques she had learned from counselling, but during the worst attacks, the only thing she could do was wait it out.

Aimee and Violet both hated the 'wait it out' method. Violet hated watching her friend suffer, she hated not being able to help.

After a few more minutes, Violet and Aimee looked up to a sudden figure standing over them. Draco was there, his hand outstretched to Violet. Violet frowned, until she noticed the little glass bottle in his palm.

"A calming draught." He stated simply. Violet took the bottle from him. It looked to only hold a few swallows of the shimmering blue liquid. She wanted to ask how he had gotten it so quickly, because he hadn't been gone long enough to make it.

"Thank you." She gave him a grateful smile before turning to Hannah, "Han? Here, take this, it will help."

Hannah looked over to Violet, her eyes and face red and splotchy. Her hand shook as she reached out for the bottle, drinking the liquid quickly. It only took a few moments for the effects to kick in, her body visibly relaxing.

Violet turned to thank Draco again, but he was already gone again. Aimee and Violet worked together to get Hannah back to their dorm, the girl half asleep by the time they dropped her onto her bed.

They left her to rest as they went back to the common room. The tension and nerves were palpable when they joined some of the other students. They went directly to their Prefect, who was standing by the door, staring at them.

"And where have you been?" Eric Makon asked, his tone sharp, "You were to report straight here after you left the pitch."

"Sorry, Eric, but we got carried away by the other students and had to come back from upstairs." Aimee lied easily, softening her expression to be apologetic. Violet followed her lead.

"Mhm," He hummed, obviously not believing them, "Anyway. There was another attack. All students are to stay in their houses until further notice."

Violet was afraid to ask, "Who?"

"Penelope Clearwater, a Ravenclaw Sixth Year, and Hermione Granger, a-"

"Hermione?!" Violet gasped, "I know her!"

Eric frowned at her, "You do?"

"Yes, we're friends. I can't believe it..." Violet trailed off, turning and walking away. She sat on the first available couch she saw.

"I'm sorry," Aimee offered, sitting next to her, "She'll be alright. I heard that the Mandrakes are almost ready."

Violet nodded, leaning against her friend, "I wish they'd figure out who's behind all this."

"Me too." Violet jumped at the voice to her other side, "Sorry, Vi."

"Cedric?" Violet frowned, staring at the boy who was perched on the arm of the couch. He gave her a half smile, "Hi."

"Hi. I heard about Granger. Thought... Thought I'd check on you." He sounded nervous, and Violet couldn't for the life of her think of any reason why.

"I'm alright. I wish I could go find Professor Sprout, help her with the Mandrakes." Violet wasn't sure how to feel, truthfully. Shocked, sure; upset, definitely. She liked Hermione, and wasn't lying about them being friends, but they weren't all that close. They talked on occasion during shared classes, but rarely saw each other otherwise.

"Right, of course." He looked like he wanted to say more, but he was interrupted by none other than Professor Sprout.

"Attention, please!" She stayed by the common room door, a roll of parchment in her hand as the lingering students all turned to her, "Due to recent events, the following rules will be in place until further notice: all students will return to their houses by six o'clock every evening, and all students will be escorted by a teacher to each lesson. No exceptions!" She sighed, letting the parchment roll back up as she looked around the room, her expression pitying, "I shouldn't say anything, but... Unless whomever is behind these attacks is caught, I fear the school may be closed soon." She swept out of the room just as fast as she had appeared, leaving the students in various states of shock.