Year Two: More Boy Trouble

4th September, 1992

Violet didn't get the chance to speak to her friends before Transfiguration. 

She stumbled into the classroom just as the final bell rang, the door slamming shut behind her. She was panting and looked out of sorts, having ran across the castle and down two flights of stairs to make it on time. 

Only a few students bothered looking back at her to see what the commotion was. She silently hoped the professor wasn't paying attention, but no such luck. Professor McGonagall was staring at her, arms crossed over her chest. Violet rushed over to the only empty seat left, next to Caroline. 

She had no problem with sitting next to the blonde girl, but it was out of the ordinary, as she usually sat with Susan Bones. Ever since they got back to Hogwarts, Caroline had barely been around, staying mostly with Susan. She didn't necessarily ignore the other three, but they seemed to be more roommates than friends lately. Violet tried not to worry about it, as it had only been a couple days, but the same thing had happened the previous year. 

Violet tried to sit and pull out her things as quietly as she could, but the professor continued to stare.

"Um... Sorry, Professor McGonagall. I got stuck in Ravenclaw tower." Her cheeks burned with embarrassment from the attention, as other students had started to stare now too, "I took Luna Lovegood, a first-year, some lunch, because she was going to miss lunch, 'cause of the Slytherin prank-"

"Miss Ellis?"

She looked up nervously, "Yes, Professor?" 

"I heard about the incident this morning. As you weren't technically late, not points will be deducted from Hufflepuff. However, do please start paying closer attention to the time."

"Yes, of course! Thank you, Professor."

McGonagall continued to watch the girl for a moment, assessing her. Her eyes widened slightly, as if she'd suddenly realized something, before turning away quickly to start the lesson.

Once all the students began to work on the beetle-to-button spell, Violet tried to talk to Caroline.

"No Susan today?" Violet turned to her friend when she didn't receive a response. The girl was staring down at the table, poking a brown button with the tip of her wand, "Caroline?"

"Hm?" She finally turned to look at Violet, "Oh, sorry. No, she wasn't feeling well, so she's gone up to see Madam Pomfrey."

"Ah. Hope she feels better soon..." Violet turned her focus back to her own beetle, which sat dumbly as Violet tried again and again to turn it into a button.

The silence felt awkward, so Violet tried again, "I ran into Eddie Carmichael today."

Again, no response. This time she decided not to say anything else. If Caroline didn't want to talk to her, then fine, she was just content to focus on the spell.

After another few minutes, Violet slammed her wand onto the table with a huff. The beetle still hadn't changed and she was beyond frustrated.

"Need help, Miss Ellis?"

Violet startled, turning to see Professor McGonagall standing just behind her. She had that look in her eyes again, as if she'd recognized something in the girl. Violet couldn't think of what it could be, though. 

"Sorry, Professor. I just can't seem to get this spell."

The professor simply nodded, her neutral expression making it impossible for Violet to guess what she was thinking.

"Yes, the Mutobuprestis spell can be quite challenging. Most students aren't able to do it."

Violet's eyes widen, "Then why have us try it?!"